Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

We are racing in California. And our Oman 8000 Quit because

Customer Question
We are racing in California...
We are racing in California. And our Oman 8000
Quit because of low oil. And we changed oil. Fuel filter and air filter Then we started a couple of times and died. We than realized we still were low on oil. But after putting correct oil. It won't do anything. Is there a reset some where for dummy's that don't put enough oil. No power to remote start and at genorator
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
7/30/2016
Technician: 350matt,
 replied 1 year ago
350matt

Hello

1st t try holding the start stop lever in the PRIME position for 1 minute to reset the ECU

also there are three fuses that are located under the control panel outside on the drivers side of the generator. You remove two screws and carefully lift up the panel. Look closely and you should find the fuses.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All fuses good. 1 minute hold did not work.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The inside coach start button and panel has nothing lit up. And the one on generator has nothing either.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We are in tr
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We are in trouble. We need power real bad. Thanks for any help. Also there is 12.6 volts at the starter. If I put remote start on motor it turns over fine
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We are racing so in ant out from phone
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any ideas
Technician: 350matt,
 replied 1 year ago

Sorry for the delay

its worth trying a general reset where you disconnect the battery cables from both sides and join them together for 10 minutes

this resets the ECU back to the factory default as it fully discharges the capacitors in the unit

Technician: 350matt,
 replied 1 year ago

If this doesn't work then check that you have 12V to the 3 fuses with the ignition on

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do you mean the 2 battery cables from both sides. There is a dual lug under the generator. One side has 12.6 volts the other has none. Like an aluminum block about 2inx2 in.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The 3 fuses each have around each have 12.5 volts
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
IMG_0311.JPG.
These
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it like holding the positive and neg cables on the lugs under the generator
Technician: 350matt,
 replied 1 year ago

Hello

thats correct where the generator ECU takes its power from basically

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you see the pics I sent
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My phone number is *************. Rod
Technician: 350matt,
 replied 1 year ago

Hello

the pics didn't come through I'm afraid

there should be a battery to power it all?

it would be safer to disconnect it there and do the reset at that point

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Just basically jumping the 2 lugs. With no power going to it
Technician: 350matt,
 replied 1 year ago

thats correct

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still nothing
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No lite on switch or inside panel is dead
Technician: 350matt,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok

I'm going to opt out as I don't think I can offer any more

hopefully another expert can help

good luck

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 1 year ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of your genset?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Driving right now but will get it for you. If low oil is activated too many times does it shut down system compleatly. No light on button or in remote panel. No display or anything
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oman. 8000 quiet diesel

No, even if the low oil pressure went off every 5 minutes, it would not lock the genset out.

Quiet Diesel is only a family series, not a model number.

But being a Quiet Diesel, I know it is a microprocessor unit, so while you are gettign the model number, also check and see what code is set in the controller.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.
This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.
The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.
This will be the Fault Code.
Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.
There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).
The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.
There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.
For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.
If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?
.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oman. 8000 quiet diesel
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no lite on the switch and the remote panel in the coach is also dead. Has 12.6 volts to the lug on generator and to the starter. And the 3 fuses by the coolant tube all show 12.5 or so volts
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
8HDKAK-1046K

The HDKAK family is a microprocessor controlled unit, and it does have a light in the start switch.

I need to know what fault code is showing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no light in the start switch and nothing in the remote panel like they are both dead. If power to the 2 lugs shows 12.5 or to one lug and and ground to other. Starter shows same. And the 3 fuses under the panel by the coolant tube show same volts. If I jump starter to turn over it turns over. Thinking maybe a grounding issue. I know what you are saying but no lights anywhere.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The light is there but does not come on

Ok.

The light not coming on is very different than not having a light. When you say no light, I think you are meaning that you do not have one.

It is little details like this that make all the difference.

Remember, I can not see or hear what is going on, so I only know as much - or as little - as you tell me.

You stated that all 3 fuses have 12.5V, but you did not specify how you tested them.

If you did not, you need to pull the fuses and actually test them with a meter for continuity. The fuses can blow where you can not see it.

If you find a fuse blown, replace it.

If you do not find a bad fuse, disconnect the remote connector (the black or gray 8-pin connector located at the rear left corner of the genset, or if our genset is mounted in the front of your coach, it will be the front left corner), and try starting at the genset.

If it cranks with the remote disconnected, you have a short in the remote harness.

If it still will not crank, you will need to remove the top and/or front panels of the genset to access the controller.

Unplug the large connector from the controller, and locate the wires P1-8 and P1-7.

Test P1-8 (very carefully so you don't damage the pins), for 12V. It should be present.

If it is not, you have a broken wire between the fuse and the connector.

If you have good 12V to P1-8, test P1-7 for continuity to ground. It should show continuity.

If it does not, you have a broken wire between the connector and ground,

If you have good 12V at P1-8, and good ground at P1-7, then you have a bad controller.

Was this what you wanted to know?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am taking to a motor home shop to repair.
Over my head.

Ok.

Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician