Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

My 445 has no spark and no ignitor box, Just quit on me on

Customer Question
My 445 has no spark...
My 445 has no spark and no ignitor box
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just quit on me on Saturday
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Any ideas?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No just no spark. Engine turns over, just no spark. My engine has a separate coil for each plug, but no ignitor box.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: It's a 1996 John Deere 445 and has never done this before
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
7/27/2016
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

I see no igniter listed for the 445, but looking at Kawaski FD620

d-AS03, It lists one. What is your full model number? With Kawaski using two pulsing coils, and two ignition coils, it seems to me, it has to have igniter!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I cannot find a # on the engine, only that it's a 1996 445
There's a plate on the air filter that says family ID SKA617U5G2RA
Mfg in 10 96

That is the engine family, the model number should be on the same plate or on another one near it. Have you looked for an igniter on your tractor? like this one.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've looked everywhere for an ignitor, underneath with a lite...no ignitor. It looks like the plate is missing, only an outline of where it was.

It was running, so we will have to assume it did not have one. The only thing the 445 has is the ignition module, attached to the key switch. It has two leds in it. One is the ignition led, are both lights lit?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Only the green lite comes on. The red one doesn't

The one close to the fuse is the ignition led. I don't see color code.

If it is not lit, there is no power to the circuit. Check the fuses.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The fuses are good. The engine turns over, just no spark.

f the LED is not it, there is no power to the ignition circuit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The green lite is lit. I think the red lite is the pot circuit
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That is PTO circuit

OK, so ignition lite is on. But still no spark. Reading in the Deere manual I have, on 445 the ignition module is part of the fuel injection module. and the 445 only has a single pulsar coil!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is a small coil for each plug. Where is the pulsar coil?

# 5 is pulsar, and is next to the flywheel

test for pulsar

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll need to check it tomorrow...storming out now

oK>

I see question is still open, did you get a chance to check the pulsar?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll do that today. I found my engine # isfd620d-as01
Is the pulsar on the exhaust side of the flywheel?

59026 is the pulsar.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician