Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I 't think its in the choke and I believe it is working

Customer Question
I don't think its in...
I don't think its in the choke and I believe it is working properly. The issue may be in the R.P.M. sensor and I need to know if it is adjustable or if it needs to be replaced . I have to solve this problem . According to the tech. manual If the sensor is not working properly the engine won't run. How do you determine if it is malfunctioning. what must I do to trouble shoot it. Also mentioned is if wire 14 is open to the mother board which I don't understand. I need my generator functional . I don't want to start changing parts. HelpMichael
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/27/2016
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 1 year ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

1. What are the model and serial numbers of the genset?

2. Disregard what you think the problem is, and what the book says, and just tell me what the problem is. What is the genset doing or not doing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Spark is good to plugs, gas supply is correct . I put it in manual start, and it try's to start. Stops after (2) seconds then try's to start ( 2 )more times, shuts off and indicator light flashes no R.P.M. Mod. #0G3506 Ser.#8114700 Displacement 992.00 cc , type Genrac.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is a follow up from original tech. question Thank you --Michael C.

I need you to recheck your model and serial number.

0G3506 is a part number for the engine, not a model number.

According to the serial number you provided, that unit is too new to have an RPM light.

Are you perhaps referring to the LCD display, and not an LED light?

Is this an 11kW Centurion unit with an Evolution controller?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
model #00524416 kW LP Guardian Air-cooled Auto.-Standby Generator

Something is not jiving here. The serial number you provided was for a 2013 model unit. Your 5244 is much older than that.

There should be 7 digits in the model number (there is more than 1 version of the 5244), and I need the proper serial number to bring up the proper schematic.

But on all 5244's, the first step in troubleshooting is the same.

Right above the oil cooler is a stud with a wire #18 attached to it.

Remove wire 18 from the stud.

Open the control panel, and remove the large plug from the controller.

At the plug, locate wire 18 at pin 5.

Ohm wire 18 from end to end to see if it is broken.

If it is, you will need to find and repair the break.

Check to make sure wire 18 is not shorted to ground.

If wire 18 is not shorted to ground, the control board is bad.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I bought the generator in 2007. The mod. # is 00524416kw LP . I did not give you the ser.. # It is Ser.#4813255. Hope this helps you. Will be going to work shortly and will have to try what you suggested this evening or on Sat. . In the mean time maybe you can pin point the trouble shooting procedure is the right one for the ser. # I just provided you with.Michael
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The mod. # was on the tech ser.# on the gen. I will also verify the mod. # and see if it has 7 digits as you said.Michael
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hank , you said something was not jiving about the ser. # .The number you are referring to was the mod. # so I then sent you the ser. # and you did not finish answering the original question. So is the answer you gave me , ok with you. If not, why are you asking me to rate you ,and why did your company already charge me with out my using an incomplete answer. This is very confusing . I respect your knowledge and yet I have not even checked my generator to seei f that is the problem. Will you re-evaluate all of this and get all the facts straight. So that I can fix my generator.Michael Comeaux

In your first reply to me, you said the serial number of your unit was(###) ###-#### You can scroll back up to the beginning of this thread and read it for yourself.

Then when I asked you for the model number, you said the model number was 005244 (6 digits). The serial(###) ###-####does not correspond to a series 5200 genset at all.

The model numbers are 7 digits.

According to the serial number you just now provided,(###) ###-#### the model number of your unit is actually(###) ###-####

As far as the rating, it is automatically sent when we reply to a question. I did not actually "send" the rating request.

I do not have anything to do with billing - I just answer questions.

For billing issues, you need to contact customer service.

For a(###) ###-#### the steps I provided above are the complete troubleshooting steps.

Here they are again.

Remove wire 18 from the stud.

At the plug, locate wire 18 at pin 5.

Did this find the problem?

Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician