Neil, Engineer
Experience:  NZ Certificate in Engineering Electronics & Computing 25 years exp
15873252

I have a Craftsman Garage Door opener Model 139.53990. The

Customer Question

I have a Craftsman Garage Door opener Model 139.53990. The hand held remote will operate the opener if I an less than two feet from it. Otherwise it does not work.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

May sound odd, but have you gotten any new electrical devices since this has started? In the garage or house.

Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

I am assuming you have check / replaced batteries in remote?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have two other garage door openers in the same garage and they work fine. I have not gotten any new electrical devices since this has happened and the garage door controller (remote) does have good batteries.
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

okay. was just asking as the frequencies can interrupt at times on the remotes. if the other remotes are working properly, I would suspect that the IR eye is damaged or the control board inside it damaged. There is not much that will make them quit working other than the 3 things I have listed. The IR eye is not seeing the unit at range, so I would say your issue is in the eye of remote

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying that the remote is bad? Being that I have three remotes, I have at different time swaped them and none will work. I just reprogramed all three and they all will work the door up close but not more than 2 feet away.
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

You just stated you have 2 other garage door openers in the same garage and they work fine. I none of the remotes are working, then no. I would not say they are bad. 3 remotes going bad at once is unheard of. I would say its the IR of the control box that the remotes communicate with to open and close the door. I will OPT OUT and see if another expert may be able to help you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Hi

So as I understand it you have two other garage doors in the garage that work fine but this third door, all remotes have little to no range?

So not an interference issue as the other doors work fine...

Which only leaves the receiver in the faulty opener... Check to confirm the receiver has an aerial, it will be just a single loose wire so make sure it is firmly connected... If all good then that board that has the aerial will need to be replaced...

This is the part you need:

https://www.gatehousesupplies.com/41AC075-2-p/18-41ac075-2a-sears.htm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Neil, That is what I surspected.
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Don't forget to rate my help, it costs you nothing to do and is how the site rewards me for my time... Be sure to rate my answer and not the first expert otherwise he gets paid and not I...

Shop around for the receiver board, check on Amazon and ebay as well for the best price...