JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

I have a 2009 Toro Z5060 with Kohler Courage 25 Engine. The

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Toro Z5060 with Kohler Courage 25 Engine. The Mower mowed for 2 Hr on Saturday and ran out great. I cut it off and came in for a drink and then went back out to finish and the mower will not start. It will crank but will not fire. I have check the fire (even replaced the plugs) and the fuel (even put fuel direct into the carburetor) and both are working fine. But still nothing! It just will not fire up. Is there a safety or a Kill switch that I could check? Or do you have any suggestions as to where I should look now.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

Try to put power directly to the starter and see if it will fire up. Being as it is cranking over, I would say it is going to be a carb issue. Safety switch issues, will normally not even allow it to turn over. Is it starting when fuel put into carb directly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. When the fuel and or starter fluid are put in it will not fire up. It will just crank. I have good compression, I have good spark I have good fuel. It is like there is a safety override keeping it from starting. On the schematic I see a Kill relay. I was wondering if that can be bypassed to see if that was my issue. But I'm not sure where to locate it.
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

If you have spark, and are putting fuel directly into cylinder it should be starting. If not, the spark is not a good spark, and may need to adjust the ignition coil(s). All you need to start is fuel, spark, and compression. If its not starting, on of the 3 are missing. Check the push rods and valve clearance to make sure it is firing at the proper time. Make sure valve clearance is properly set and no push rods are bent or loose

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the means to break it down to check valves and push rods. Will need to take it to someone with more time than me. It ran out perfect for 2 hours and cut off smoothly. No back fire or any rough stalling. I do have all I need for it to fire but it will not.That is why I am stumped. Can you tell me the proper gap needed for the plugs. I don't think that would keep it from starting but at this point I am lost and need to rule out all else before I throw in the towel. Can you think of anything else. I swear It has to be something simple that we are missing.
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

PLUG---RC12YC
GAP -----.030

Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

With no backfire, and just a smooth shut down and no restart, sounds like a flooding issue no allowing plugs to fire, but at the same time, it sounds like a no fire issue. Flooding out would hydro lock the engine, in which it is not doing, so....... I would stay on the improper firing time idea. Check the gapof the Ignition module???

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I Check the gap of the Ignition module???
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

Loosen the ignition coil, and place a business card between the coil and the magnets of the flywheel. Roll flywheel to coil and let the magnets pull coil to flywheel with business card between the 2. tighten ignition coil down.

Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

Just checking to see how the repair was coming along. Were you able to get ignition coils gapped properly and see if this helped the issue? Let me know the outcome and if I can do anything else for you

Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in and seeing if you need anything else as I see I didn't get rated and wasn't sure if you needed more info. Rating are important and I strive to do my best. please let me know if I can assist furher