Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a troybilt riding mower and the drive belt keeps

Customer Question
popping off of the pulley...
I have a troybilt riding mower and the drive belt keeps popping off of the pulley that is on a spring toward the back of the mower. How can I keep this from happening?
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: it is a Bronco that is about 8 yrs old with a 42 inch deck w/ double blades
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible. Depends on what has to be done
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The drive belt was replaced about a year ago. This has happened the entire time I have owned the mower, but only rarely. I have been out of town for three weeks and have not used the mower. I just mowed the lawn and it started happening. It doesn't matter if the blade in engaged or not. The belt pops off about every 30 seconds of driving.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
7/25/2016
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 1 year ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Take a really close look at the pulley alignment making certain that the pulley there is lining up with the others that the belt runs on. I believe that you will find a bent bracket where that pulley mounts onto that is causing the belt to be thrown off.

Have you ever had the machine back into an authorized Troybilt repair center for them to look at it. If this has been happening ever since you first purchased the machine I would have taken it in to have it looked at while it was under warranty(2 years).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How can I tell if the bracket is bent or misaligned?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you there John? Is this something I can figure out and fix?

With the belt on the pulleys you can look to see if the belt is running or looks level. If not then I would look for bent or loose parts(bracket) that would cause it to throw the belt off.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It does look like it might be bent down. Can I just try to force it up and get it level?

If it is throwing the belt that quickly or often then yes it should be very noticeable. It could be as simple as bending a bracket in order to straighten or level the belt out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, I'll give that a try. Thanks

Yes, try to get it back up as close to level as you can. Keep in mind that since it has been bent this problem could come back again.

I would recommend eventually replacing the bracket if this problem persist.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

JohnF2015
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician