Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I am having a hard time figuring out how to access the belt

Customer Question
on an onan 5500. I...
I am having a hard time figuring out how to access the belt on an onan 5500. I dropped it from RV, just can't figure out how to separate it from the aluminum chassis. Can you assist?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
7/24/2016
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 1 year ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

There is no belt on the machine. What kind of problem are you having that makes you look for a belt?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The fan free spins and the generator won't stay running. Local Onan shop and online research both point to a broken belt or bad coupler. I have the belt already to replace it.

What is the model number of your generator?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's an Onan 5500 Gold RV generator

That doesn't give me the model number. That is just the wattage.

Do you have the actual model number from the frame of the machine?

Thank you for those pictures. That definitely helps.

I stand corrected on the belt. Your model machine does have one.

I am including a link to the service manual for your model machine. You will find on pages 7-1 through 7-3 information on how to replace the belt.

I hope that this information helps you. It is a pdf file which you can save to your computer for future reference if needed.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't see the link

I am sorry I failed to get it included in the last response.

Here it is.

http://www.cleggind.com/postal_tech/pdfs/onan_srv_man_pt1.pdf

Sorry about that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No problem. I have the manual. The issue I am having is how I remove the generator from the think aluminum chassis that it sits on so I can access the fan shroud. It is currently sitting on vibration isolators. I can't access the bolts for the shroud.

This information is covered in part two of the service manual. You will find it beginning on page 9-1. I am including a link to part two of the manual with this post.

http://www.cleggind.com/postal_tech/pdfs/onan_srv_man_part2.pdf

I hope that this information proves to be helpful to you.

JohnF2015
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician