Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a Kohler CV16S motor on my Craftsman riding lawn

Customer Question
mower. I bought a Kohler...
I have a Kohler CV16S motor on my Craftsman riding lawn mower. I bought a Kohler Kit 12-757=03-S to rebuild and clean the carburetor. There is a small o-ring in this kit which I can't find a location for. Does anyone have any idea what it might be for?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
7/23/2016
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

See page 5.6 in the manual above. Do you see it? Not the seal on the throttle shaft?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a cap for the FUEL SHUT OFF SOLENOID and a smaller "o-ring" which might be the "FUEL INLET SEAT" for the FUEL INLET NEEDLE". If that's it, does it just slip onto the "NEEDLE"? The original Kohler had two - one was in a separate sealed bag "Use 82-85 inlet nedle valve in carburetors that have a brass valve seat and dated after 2553 (?).

Fuel inlet seat is a squarish o'ring that goes in the upper passage for an all metal needle, it is not used in model with a rubber tipped needle.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll send a picture shortly

OK>

O'ring would go in the upper passage , where all metal needle valve would seat on it. It has to be tight in the upper housing, so it does not fall out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how far down does it go? flush?

Ithas to bottom out in the passage, Use a drill bit end or a wooden dowel to seat it.

One will fit the opening better, you want it close, but has to be loose. The one on the right or the center one , either will work with the upper seat.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any tricks on getting it started?
I have a 5/32" flat end punch to seat it....

Did it have one before? Just pinch the seal and slip it into the passage, then straighten it up and push it in.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think it did - with the thing seeing probably some ethanol (I bought this tractor at a garage sale) it could have been eaten away, but I doubt it.....

If it has an all metal needle and not the rubber tipped needle, it has to have the upper seat.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll keep trying

OK>

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
With the seat installed, the FUEL INLET VALVE won't go down far enough to install the float.

You got it bottomed out? You have the needle installed correctly in the float, where float holds needle and needle not on the top of the tab? The fork on the float has to hold the needle by the groove in the top of it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oring bottomed out, yes installed as you described on the float.

OK< and the needle is all metal and has no rubber tip? What happened to the original, as it has no tip?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I took the carburetor apart and soaked overnight in acetone. That's what it looked like. There was nothing resembling a rubber tip in the residual acetone solution which darkened in color.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am going to remove the fuel needle valve seal. The 'thinner' needle (under 'magnifying glass' appears to have an attached tip (not a solid piece).

Ok, then you use it less the seat!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you still there?

Yes, I'm here

I never left, Not sure why your response just now popped up!

I see question is still open, did you get the needle worked out?

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician