Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

This mower cut out when i sat forward off the seat, safety

Customer Question
feature, and now while the...
This mower cut out when i sat forward off the seat, safety feature, and now while the lights come on it does not even turn over. I have the parking brake on to try to start, no avail.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes, have fuel, and it is filtered. It just does not even turn over, like one of the safety features is not engaged.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: hopefully, it is stuck quite a way from getting it anywhere for anyone to work on it offsite.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: cannot think of anything, when it got stuck and cut out we pushed it backwards thinking that there was something stuck under the cutter deck, will try to move it a bit further and see if that helps.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/23/2016
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 1 year ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Have you made certain that the mower deck is disengaged?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Deck is disngaged, does it automatically when seat is not sat on anway.

You are correct in one aspect that it will kill the deck if you aren't in the seat however if it does kill the deck and you don't push the pto switch down to the off position it will not allow the engine to crank when you try to start it. If you were mowing along and the machine died or you moved forward in the seat and it shut off then this is the first thing that I would look at. Make certain that the pto switch is push down or disengaged. Since the lights are still working i can assume that the battery and fuse are good.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
PTO switch?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do know that a PTO is a power take off, not sure where the switch is though.

How do you engage and disengage the mower deck? Is it a push/pull switch or a lever?

What brand of machine is this? Do you have a model and serial number?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Countax c600h, I now know what the PTO is, the powered grass collector, deck is mid mounted, does not run off of the PTO

For those of us in the service and repair industry the PTO is power take off. This term is used for the engagement system of the mower deck. I know that it can be confusing. Basically what we want to look at is to make certain that the mower deck engagement has been turned off.

I am going to see if I can find any other information about your machine from the model provided so that I can better assist you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do know what a PTO is - power take off - when applied to tractors etc, this mower does not have this sort, it is just a belt pulley, hence why I did not instantly recognize where it was. The mower deck also works on belts and pulleys .

Looking at a couple of different manuals for your machine the only other thing that I see is that you might have blown fuse number 2, a 20 amp fuse which controls the ignition or starting system. There is a separate fuse for the lights which is not normal here in the states.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, not that, changed fuse still not turning over, also changed fuse 1, no change.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The ignition light do come on, it shows as it should, just no reaction to turning the key with regard to attempting to start.

I will opt out of your question. Your machine is different from what we have here in the states and I have no further information on it. Maybe one of the other experts here will have something to add or a suggestion for you.

Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Obviously it is a safety switch. ad the most likley one is the seat switch. it is the one that killed the engine. It may have not reset. have you checked the switch with and ohmmeter to see that it is ok?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will dig out my ohmeter.

OK>

I see question is still open. Did you find bad swich or wire?

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician