DanTheCarGuy
DanTheCarGuy,
94707146

Got a 30 hp 1990. It was running good until last ride. Then

Customer Question

Got a Johnson 30 hp 1990. It was running good until last ride. Then it doesn't rev up. I think it is running normally in idle speed, but it is just caughing when trying to rev up. Check video below. Hope you guys can help me.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y6EKLnMVWQI think it is a ignition related problem. I also got a 15 hp Evinrude 1990 which I borrowed some parts with same part numbers. So far I have exchanged these parts without any luck:Ignition coils
Stator
Charge coil
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  DanTheCarGuy replied 1 year ago.

Seems like the timing is off. Maybe not advancing the timing.

Also sounds like its not getting fuel. I would check the carb. I am an auto tech, but boat engines are my hobby.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not any of that. The timing is advancing and the carb is cleaned.Can you tell me if it's possible to test a power pack from a Evinrude 15 hp on this 30 hp? It is not same part numbers, but maybe it will work anyway?

If you are getting spark its not not the power pack. You could try to test it on the 30hp. If the power pack was bad you probably would have no spark. Have you checked the keyway on the flywheel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok...yes I had the flywheel of several times and the keyway is just fine.

Have you gone through the carb? I have seen jets and other things looses up in the carb causing a similar problem to yours. Also do a compression test on all cylinders.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was the power pack! I tested with the 15 hp power pack and now it revs up as it should! So now I will put it back on the 15 hp and get a new one for the 30 hp.