Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Gravely Commercial 10 probably 40 yrs. old. It has

Customer Question

I have a Gravely Commercial 10 probably 40 yrs. old. It has a Gravely G-24 for Model & #Spec 463410. It was made by Kohler as a K 241. Last year it started acting up and still does. Starts and runs fine for 15 / 20 minutes under load but as soon as the engine gets hot it loses all power and I have to kick out of gear and cut the throttle to an idle to keep it running. It just seems like the spark gets retarded and it wont fire. I cleaned the fins, changed plug,condenser, and coil and just finished trying again. Same results. Any suggestions? P.S. I also changed points and set them at .020.; cleaned the tank, bypassed the fuel pump. About only thing left is carb or governor. Please help.
BOB MOORE
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It sounds like you have tried just about everything that I might have suggested other than one thing. Try setting your points at .018 instead of .020 and see if that makes any difference. I have had better success with the .018 setting on the Kohler engines, the points seem to last longer and perform better.