JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

My 24 hp briggs and Stratton has been backfiring and losing

Customer Question

My 24 hp briggs and Stratton has been backfiring and losing power. I have installed new plugs, fuel filter, no change. right now won't start
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Clean new fuel, flowing good through fuel lines.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends on what it might be. Not a mechanic.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

If engine is backfiring, it is a carb issue or timing issue. Being as you are having a loss of power, I would first pull the valve covers and check the push rods. Check for bends and also the valve clearance. If the rod is fine and the clearance is proper, I would clean out carb. Let me know if I can assist further please