Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a deere L108 tractor when i try to start it all i get

Customer Question

I have a john deere L108 tractor when i try to start it all i get is a loud back fire when it tries to starts
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. There is a few things that could make this happen , timing being off, a bent push rod or valve issue or the carburetor allowing gas to bypass the needle and inlet valve and get intothe crankcase and mix with the oil. First let's check the oil and tell me if it smells like gas or is thin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did get a new carburetor and installed it with the filter can not tell if the oil has a gas smell or not can change the oil if that will help any
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Was it doing this prior to replacing the carburetor? . Oil should be thick and not smell like gas at all , if the oil looks thin, is dripping off the stick easily etc I'd change it

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

But the problem is if that's the case it's the carburetor and will do it again until the carburetor is fixed . Where did you get the carburetor from

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the oil did look a little thin This will take a little time will get back to you in a while. from the john deere dealer in pa. m&r
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
m&r power equipment along with a oil filter plug and gas filter
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok , it could be faulty , basically what happens is gas fills up the bowl the float rises and pushes the needle into the inlet valve which should stop the gas flow , but if it's not sealing gas continues to flow so it gets inroads the crank case and mixes with the oil .

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Was it doing this before the carburetor replacement ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
before i take it off should i go ahead and change the oil and the oil filter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Yes because if the oil hasn't been changed since the new carb was installed then it has gas oil mix from the old carburetor being faulty and this one may be fine

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'll get back with you when i get the oil changed and the new filter on it will be a while must take care of my husband who is ill. be back in a few hours. thank you
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
No problem , take your time. It notifies me when you respond so there's no rush on my end .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
No problem , let me know how it does after the oil change etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
changed the oil and filter but it does the same thing and the gas filter is not filling up with gas the arrow on the filter is pointing up should i take the carburetor back to the dealer or is there something else.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
The awrow should point down to the carburetor that's the way the gas flows
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
It could be something more than the carburetor, if it's has a baby push rod the valves aren't opening and closing on time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the carburetor is above the filter not below the filter and there is two other tubes that go in the carburetor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is the baby push rod that push the valves open and close
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Most likely a vaccum line for the fuel pump , what is the make of the engine in the eider , is it a kohler or briggs ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
briggs
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

That was a typo, it has push rods that open and close the valves

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok on the ohv cover it should have a model , type and code

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
type 0367 model 03P777 code 050441ze
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
model #31P777
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
code 050421ZE sorry can'nt read my writing
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Part 1026 in this diagram are the push rods , they open and close part 1029

https://www.partstree.com/parts/briggs-and-stratton/engines-vertical-engine-with-electric-starter/31p777-0367-e1-briggs-stratton-engine-electric-starter/cylinder-head-gasket-set-valve-intake-manifold-lubrication-valves/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are these the part that i will need and will i also need a carburetor and are these easy to install and do they come with instrutions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how many of each will i need
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
The carb may be fine , to check these remove the ohv cover ,some oil may spill and look at the valves as you turn the motor over by hand
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok will get back to you
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok sounds good

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are the valves attached to part 1029 if so one on the top is very sloppy and the other on the bottom is tight is this normal
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Kinda but they can be measured with a feeler Gauge
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
https://youtu.be/jFoJif99x5E