Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

1991 Yamaha Extreme (I believe its a G2) gas cart. Wouldn't

Customer Question

1991 Yamaha Extreme (I believe its a G2) gas cart. Wouldn't start before and replaced 4 post solenoid about 8 months ago. Recently was driving it and it just stopped dead. I put the multi-tester on the solenoid and it tested good (it is a used solenoid) . Now, press on accelerator and all I hear is a whirring type noise and engine won't turn over. Any ideas? I did not test the solenoid when I press accelerator. Any chance I could've gotten a bad one?
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked the in-line fuse too and it is good
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Whirring noise coming from?? What is battery voltage, Has to be above 12.5 volts. If you jump the two cable terminals on the solenoid, will engine spin??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
didn't jump solenoid checked it w multi meter on 10V DC and it checked good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sounded like whirring noise possibly coming from starter generator......
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Jumping the solenoid is quick check of the battery, cables and starter. What did the test you performed show?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What is battery voltage when you get whirring?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
multi meter check of solenoid. battery has plenty of juice head lights bright. tons of juice coming from battery to solenoid. pegged meter to the right ...
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You don't have the exact reading? Use higher scale than 10V

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to try it again in a week or 2. The golf cart is at our lake house 200 miles away....will advise then.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If jumping the solenoid does make engine spin, you have bad battery, cables or starter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'm back at lake. Put multi tester(250DC setting) on solenoid and hit gas with key on. Solenoid clicks and starter just whirrrrrrrrrrrs. Multi tester barely moves on the 250 setting. Could solenoid still be bad not sending enough juice to activate starter/generator? Just happened on my boat. Starter wirrrrrrrrred new battery, starter whirrrrrred, new solenoid with new battery ureka! Battery checks 12 V in cart.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What is battery voltage when you hit start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On 10 DC it pegs all the way to the right. On 250 DC just moves a little.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Battery has to have over 8 volts when the starter is engaged, or it will not spin like t should. ?? I assume this is not a digital voltmeter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Put battery charger on for giggles and battery shows week. Lights are strong though.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It takes a lot more amperage for start, than for lights!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think bad battery... Solenoid clicks. Prob battery. Will circle back and I feel kinda dumb!!! Lol
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK> Let me know!