Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Hank, I just bought an RS-20 Onan to replace my RS-12000

Customer Question
GHAB. I have a RSZ-100...
Hank, I just bought an RS-20 Onan to replace my RS-12000 GHAB. I have a RSZ-100 transfer switch that works just fine. When I bought the generator, the sales guy said I could use this switch with the new generator. The RS-20 seems to be looking for utility sense and switch position utility and generator in addition to transfer switch control, which I assume is just a contact closure. Do I need a new transfer switch, or are these inputs just for the email and or status function in the new RS20? Any relibiality differences between the 100 and 200 amp, since all I might need is the 100 amp? Best way to dispose of the old genset?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please update price to $30
Answered in 1 day by:
7/12/2016
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 1 year ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

Could I please get the full model number of the RS20, exactly as it is written on the data plate?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hank;The invoice says it is a 20GSBB-6714. I sold the old generator, that seems to be the best disposal method.Dick Abbott

Sorry for the delay, but I work 2 day jobs, and help on Just Answer in the evenings.

I am a bit unclear as to exactly what you mean by "The RS-20 seems to be looking for utility sense and switch position utility and generator in addition to transfer switch control" Could you elaborate further?

The same with "are these inputs just for the email and or status function in the new RS20"

You did right by selling the old unit - that was the best way to dispose of it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There are two wiring diagrams for the RS-20 (20GSBB-6714) to a new ATS, depending on model of new ATS. For the RS100-6634 ATS, there is a ground, a B+, a remote start, and a switch position gen. For the RS100-6868 ATS, there is a utility sense 1, utility sense 2, B-, switch position utility, switch position gen, B+, local control 1 and local control 2. I have neither. I have the RSZ-100 that I bought with a 12kW GHAB 10 years ago, which still works fine. I would like to use my old switch with the new generator. I know that the old switch has a battery charger and a remote start interface to the generator. It sounds like the interface for the old ATS is similar to the new model RS100-6634 ATS except for the "switch position gen". Do I need a new ATS or can I use the old one? Do you think that the old ATS provides the "switch position gen" interface? Do you think the "switch position gen" interface is needed? What is the difference between a service entrance ATS and a non-service entrance ATS? I have a subpanel for backed up circuits connected to the my ATS and then to my main panelboard.

I have never run into this particular issue before.

I truly am not sure about this one, so I am going to opt out.

Perhaps another expert can better assist you .

Sorry.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician