JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

I have a Northern Lights generator on my boat, when starting

Customer Question

Hello, I have a Northern Lights generator on my boat, when starting I release the glow plug switch and the engine shuts down?
Thanks,
Rick
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like you are having a switch issue. I would replace switch personally, but you can check the glow plugs, loosen the current carrying flat wire between the plus-poles of the glow plugs. Connect a D.C. test bulb between the plus-pole of the battery and the plus-pole of the glow plug. If the bulb lights up, the glow plug is functioning properly. Check all glow plugs and replace any faulty ones

Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

PAGE 8 of Manual----- Hold the Shutdown Bypass-Preheat switch in the ON position for 10 to 20 seconds before starting a cold engine. Holding the switch too long can burn out the glow plugs. This step is not necessary if the engine is already warm. 2. While holding the Shutdown Bypass-Preheat switch in the ON position, push the Engine Control switch to the START position. 3. As soon as the engine starts, release both switches. Do not crank the starter for more than 10 seconds consecutively. If the engine fails to start with the first attempt, be sure that it has stopped completely (wait at least 30 seconds) before re-engaging. I am thinking it is a switch issue from what you have described

Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

I hope your problem has been resolved.

Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST and your ratings help me to achieve this goal!