Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a troybilt pressure washer (brand new)....have oil,

Customer Question
gas, water supply. I start...
I have a troybilt pressure washer (brand new)....have oil, gas, water supply. I start it up and it just runs for 2 seconds and then shuts off
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: gas...there is no shut of valve that I can see
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
7/9/2016
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 1 year ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Is machine like BRAND NEW , this is the 1st time you have started it up? It is sounding like fuel is either shut off (IF EQUIPT) or there is something clogging the carb. What type of engine is on machine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
briggs
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
briggs & stratton....no gas shutoff

Pull the bowl nut on bottom of carb and clean the all holes on it. It may just have a clogged jet in the bowl nut.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this is wayyyyyy to slow. do you have any answers
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is gas coming out of the float bowl when I loosened the bolt holding it on

Have you removed the carb bowl nut and checked for obstructions? We can do a phone call if you would like for quicker responses, but they charge more. I usually try to answer all questions on here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no live talk
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It starts & immediately shut off

It sounds like it is a carb issue. I would try to pull the bowl nut and clean it out very well. If you have air compressor, blow air through side holes and the top hole. This should correct your problem

Is it a prime system or auto choke system?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
auto choke system. no primer bulb

what is the model type off of the valve cover? I will look up engine, so I can view it and its components.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i will go and get that information

have you attempted to hold trigger down when you start it? Sometimes pressure build up will kill the engine if it has not been ran

ok, I will be here.

I can give you a little more info once engine info is known, but also check the gov spring and make sure it is not damaged in any way. If it is bent or twisted, it will not let the engine run once started. Most of the time it will not even allow engine to start, but each machine is different in this manner. I would personally start by cleaning the bowl nut (with jets) if equipt.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I started the unit up with the trigger held down, as you suggested, and now it is running. One problem....when I let up off of the switch, it immediately dies.

so when you stop spraying it is killing the engine? How new is this machine? Is this your first time using it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Brand New. Just bought it today from LOWES. It immediately kills the engine as soon as I let off of the trigger
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I figured that it would be more than worth the money to ask you than to take it back to the store

I hate to say this, but with LOWES you have 30 days to return machine for a refund or swap. I would return this machine as being new and giving problems, you may be in store for more issues even if this one is fixed, and after 30 days they will want to send it off to the warranty dept. for repairs. They should let you do an even swap for another new one.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK......thank you. I will take it back to the store. Thank you for your assistance

It sounds like there may be a Governor issue, or REV limiter issue, and that is an internal issue that you do not want to get into. It could be a simple gov. spring , but then again, its a new machine and you shouldn't have to put new parts on a new machine. If it will run under a load, but not idle, the most I would do it clean that bowl nut. if that doesn't repair the issue, take back to store and exchange for a new one

No problem. Sorry I wasn't able to help you repair the issue, but it may be more trouble to try to chase this issue since it will run under load but not idle. I hope my services helped some, and you can get the issue resolved by returning to store for an exchange. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST and your rating helps me to achieve this. Thank you and have a good evening. Let me know if I can do anything else for you.

I hope you got issue resolved.​

Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST and your ratings help me to achieve this goal!

JON
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician