John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services
93794869

I have a deer z tracyear it will run and then shut off. I

Customer Question

i have a john deer z trac(###) ###-####year it will run and then shut off. I have replaced the fuel filter, didnt help. I just put a fuel pump on, it ran a bit longer but still seems to not be getting enough fuel in the filter to run for any great amount of time, I am honestly out of options as to what it could be. It has ran this season already this is something that just went from ok one day to not the next time on it.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: about a couple of weeks but really just started trouble shooting with parts last couple of days. I also just replaced the outter air filter
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes tank is full
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: shut off valve? meaning?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: fuel is clean yes
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  John Oliver replied 1 year ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** to hear...these issues can be a pain

so ill give you a couple things to try/check..... it may take a little back and forth before we get it done but have patience

fuel filter can only work in 1 direction so check that flow direction is correct

take a very good look inside your tank and make sure you don't have a foreign object floating around in there that can cover your fuel outlet

gas cap is the vent for the tank. next time it quits unscrew the cap and listen for a suction sound indicating a vacume

if possible monitor the voltage on the fuel shutoff solenoid at the bottom of the carb. if voltage there is lost it will kill the engine

it is possible for a rubber fuel line to fail internally and not leak. next time the engine dies remove the fuel line from the tak at the pump and see if you have fuel. if the rubber inside the line breaks it can act as a check valve

knock these things off the list and we can go from there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i bought the mower from the man the filter actually was turned in the opposite direction of what the arrow was, when we replaced it we turned it the correct way. It ran the other way just fine which is contradictory to what you are saying. We actually had our hand inside the tank yesterday becasue we replaced the gromet on the tank where the tube goes into the mower tank thinking it might have been worn at the sugestion of the john deere service man. We made sure the hose inside the tank is down in to the gas and not floating as well, however the filter just does not stay filled , which is why i think its cutting off ?

if the carb solenoid was cutting out that wouldn't have any effect on the fuel flow to the filter. that is the job of the pump. the solenoid just cuts flow to the main jet.

run it until it dies and check the tank vent and fuel flow to the pump

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would the fuel outlet not be where the tube is running up to the gromet and to the filter? how can something obstruct that or is there somewhere else in the tank that has a outlet as well because I only see one hose coming from the gas tank

that's the only one that I can think of

going back to the rubber fuel line failing internally

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is what I am saying. as long as there is fuel in the filter it runs as soon as that fuel goes out it cuts off. it will crank back up but only will repeat itself it seems to be an issue with fuel cominging into that filter from the tank to filter. should that filter stay filled with gas at all times?

I have only seen them fill about 1/4 to 1/2 at the most

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i was thinking it should stay filled but its running out and then cuts off so my next guess was replacing the inner tube in the tank!
and maybe switching the fuel filter out with another one

what about the vacume line that goes between the engine and the pump. that is what operates the fuel pump. any chance that line is cracked and leaking vacume?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the hoses that hook to the fuel pump itself?

yes. one short line between the pump and the engine. the line between the pump and fuel tank should be closly examined as well

any luck here?