Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My 2007 yamaha gas golf cart will not charge when running. I

Customer Question

My 2007 yamaha gas golf cart will not charge when running. I have replaced the starter/generator, voltage regulator, battery. When I start with a hot battery it only reads 12v on my probe and goes down from there
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What does the generator output read when engine is running? It should put out at least 15 volts, if generator is working, check the battery connection from the regulator to the positive battery connection, usually on the starter solenoid positive terminal. Wire may be broken .?? Was generator polarized after installation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check all when I get home and get back to you, thanks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK> Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does the generator output read when engine is running?
(Do I check that from the small red to green wires?)
It should put out at least 15 volts, if generator is working, check the battery connection from the regulator to the positive battery connection usually on the starter solenoid positive terminal. Wire may be broken?? (CHECKS GOOD)
Was generator polarized after installation? (POLORIZED BUT NO CHANGE)
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Check the green and the red and white. Have to find more than battery voltage! Both go to the regulator .

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Diagram above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unplug the red/green wire off of the starter/gen at the clip. Test to those two leads to each other and get 1v. Changed the starter/gen to my new one and get the same reading
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Test each wire from wire to ground. Black to ground, red to the wires, one at a time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm getting zero from battery ground to each red & green wire. I guess my starter/gen has a problem? I'm surprised they both have the issue. Is there something the electric system could be doing to cause this?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You are testing with engine running? With the starter side working, it seems odd that the generator side has zero output.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I left the starter/generator with a local guy who re-builds them for him to test. He did say that the two small leads you had me test are field wires and would not be showing power anytime
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK> let's see what he comes up with.