Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

O.K....here is my issue. I'm currently in Africa on a

Customer Question
O.K....here is my issue....
O.K....here is my issue. I'm currently in Niger Africa on a mission trip. I've been helping to repair some things on the compound one of which is a JD LA105 garden tractor. Someone else had looked at it months ago and unfortunately, I have not been able to contact that person to see exactly what the symptoms were and what he did. When I found the machine, the mower deck was off. So basically what it is doing is I can force the machine into gear (forward & reverse) but the machine will not stop or disengage the clutch when the pedal is depressed. I have adjusted the brake and I don't believe that is the issue. It seems as though the clutch is not disengaging when the pedal is depressed. The parking brake function seems to be operating O.K. and when the it is "on", the transmission is not engaged. It just seems as though the clutch is not operating by the foot pedal. We are leaving for the US next Wednesday so any help you can provide me would be really appreciated. I sure would like to get this machine up and going before we leave. Thank you!
JA: Huh?
Customer: Did not receive?
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: JD LA105, maybe 10 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes...not many JD dealers in Niger Africa
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No,,,,,thats a good start.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you know if my payment was processed?
6/30/2016
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

first link is the Deere parts book showing the parts, the idler is attached to the left pedal, and belt is tensioned when pedal is released, when pedal is pushed, belt should disengage the transmission pulley.

Second link is the Illustration as to how the belt is installed and routed. Thanks, ***** ***** to close.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It doesn't seem to me that the brake pedal linkage for the drive belt is allowing enough movement to totally disengage the transmission. Is there any adjustment for the linkage so that the idler pulleys will move more thus loosing the belt? I'm also going back down to the shop to make sure that the drive belt that was put on is indeed a GX20006 belt. If it is smaller than what is supposed to be on there, I could see that being an issue too. I will reply with what I find.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did check the drive belt. It is indeed a John Deere GX20006 belt. I did tighten the brakes which gave me a little less slack in the brake pedal linkage but with the brake all the way depressed and the emergency brake set, the drive pulley and the mower pulley are still turning. With the engine off, there is still quite a bit of room to move the bracket that has the idler pulleys on it which loosens the drive belt. As I said before, the mower deck is off, That extra tension that the mower drive belt creates would not affect the drive belt tension would it?

No, deck belt will not make it work any better. Check the idlers to be sure the pulleys are free and rotating freely, bearings not bad.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked them on my last trip down to the garage. They are rotating freely. With the emergency brake set, and the engine on, I can see them rotate just fine. I'm assuming that the drive belt should be loose enough with the brake (or e-brake on) that the drive belt should be loose enough that the transmission and mower pulleys should not be turning when the engine is on and the gear is in neutral .....correct?

Belt may not stop completely, but the load from the transmission should not let mower drive.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The mower drive pulley is spinning pretty aggressively, again with the e-brake on. I am depressing the brake pedal all the way down and locking the brake. Now where do I go?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is significant tension on the drive belt that with the e-brake on, if I put the transmission into gear, it goes forward (or backwards). Not very safe!

No, not safe. Pulley rusted? May need to be run so belt will shine up the pulleys so belt can slip .??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The pulleys are not rusted but as the belt is probably new, I could run it for awhile and see if it might stretch or clean any junk in the pulley grooves. The only thing is again, it won't stop when the brake is depressed. Since I know what it is doing, I can do it safely. I'll try it.

Brake is a mechanical disc brake, and if brake will not hold, the brake pucks may need to be replaced. Or did you tighten the lever on the brake to give brake caliper more travel?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still no luck.

your belt is 88 5/8, what I see shown for the tractor is GX20036 belt. which is 91 3/4 ! ????

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Very interesting and that would certainly make sense to me. The owners manual has the GX20006 belt listed and the second link that you sent me also had the GX20006 belt as the correct one. How or where did you find that the GX20036 belt may be the correct one? I'm kind of at a disadvantage here in Niger plus trying to repair someone elses repair attempt. Thanks!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked that part number. I believe that you possibly meant GX22036. That is the number that I found with that length. I would still be curious where the differences in belt numbers came from. Thanks!

I swear that was what I looked up yesterday on the deere site! Now this Am, I look up LA105, 42 inch deck, and come up with a totally different belt! GX20072, which is 103 inch belt! No way can there be that much difference!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm thinking that the GX22036 is the correct belt. I'm thinking that the extra couple of inches will allow the transmission to disengage properly. From what I was able to find, the GX20006 is for the gear transmission and the GX22036 is for the hydrostatic transmission. For some reason, the person that worked on it last used the GX20006 belt.

I think so too! Thanks.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician