Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 6x4 gator that won't crank over, I replaced the

Customer Question

I have a 6x4 gator that won't crank over, I replaced the battery and there's nothing happening at the key switch, replaced the starter and that didn't do any good. help pls.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: about a week now
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: as much as I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I understand gas engine well, worked on my cars since 1970 or so
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: it was past on to me and it ran 5 years ago, I'm guessing it's 20 years old maybe
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The Gator has no fuses, but Deere puts three fusible links in the system on the wires coming off the posiitve side of the starter solenoid, the same terminal the posiitve battery cable goes to. The voltage for the keyswitch has to come from these wires. Locate the fusible links and check them for continuity. They will look like fuses soldered in the wires. You can use a jumper wire to bypass and test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the dash lights come on w/key
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed the fuses and connected directly to battery and dosen't make any change
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It will have a brake switch, that has to make for starter to work. It will be on the brake linkage. Look at switch and see if the brake is pushing it when you try to start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there isn't a switch connected to the brake pedal, the seats don't have safety switches either. I've removed the front cover and accessed the switch.Battery is at the switch and when I jumper the starter wire it doesn't turn the engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You don't have to press brake for start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, this might be a little older than I though
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've looked for a data plate every where, is there one on these gators?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the voltage at the fuel pump seems low, 4.5vdc
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

6X4 is not full model number. Is this TX. HS, or ???? It had a plate riveted to the frame when it was new.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where about on the frame would I be able to find it?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Don't know location. Number 8 shows to be two stop switches, this is off a Worksite gator, it also has a start relay, # ***** do you find this relay? Does it have voltage to it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll go check
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12.5 vdc on red
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Does the relay click when you turn the key to start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no clicking in run or start
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Look at the relay, it will have a schematic on the side of it. Locate the connections that relay should make, and use a jumper wire to see if it will engage the starter. You will make the connection in the relay plug in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'm guess the 2 postions on the relay marked 87 & 87A are the ones your talking about
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Not sure without having it in my hand!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you know the wire colors that need to be bridged
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

no. try jumper from 87 to 87a in the plug.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not any change, still won't crank engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
getting close to time to call it a day? pick it up tomorrow
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK>

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I see question is still open, did you find problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was finally able to locate a wiring diagram that made it possible to troubleshoot and repair.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What was problem?