Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

We have a Toro Groundmaster 228d that is blowing a 5 amp

Customer Question

We have a Toro Groundmaster 228d that is blowing a 5 amp fuse immediately when key is turned on. What would be the cause for this?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Where is the fuel shutoff solenoid? Unplug it and flip key on to see if the fuse blows. Fuel solenoid comes on as soon as key is turned on.. Next would be to unplug the voltage regulator .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried the fuel shut off solenoid, still blew the fuse. Where is the voltage regulator located?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What engine do you have? It may be part of the alternator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kubota 3cyl. diesel
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It has alternator with built in regulator. you would have to remove field wire from alternator, or just unplug the alternator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just disconnected the voltage regulator, fuel pump and shut off solenoid, still blows the fuse.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

!! You will just have to isolate what wiring section causes it and then check each wire to find the source of the short. With all the usual ones out of the picture, not sure what else to try.