Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

We have a Craftsman Rotary Lawn Mower 675 Series Briggs

Customer Question
& Stratton Engine Power-propelled Electric...
We have a Craftsman Rotary Lawn Mower 675 Series Briggs & Stratton Engine Power-propelled Electric Start 22" Mulit-Cut.The larger back wheels in the rear tilt or slant some with the top of the wheels moving inward (closer together) and the bottom of the wheels move outward (farther apart), particularly when pulling the mower backwards or otherwise putting weight or stress on the back wheels. This causes the wheels to bind some making it more difficult to roll those wheels and the mower. We have put on new back wheels as well as doing some tightening on the brackets (holding the back axle/wheels) to the mower frame or housing (both of which only helped slightly).
Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 day by:
6/21/2016
Technician: Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician replied 1 year ago
Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Do you happen to know the model number of your mower

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
John. Model No.###-##-#### (Serial No. 040408M 028224).
This mower was purchased assembled (from Sears by my 80-year old mother). It has hardly been used due to problem with the rear wheels. The mower is in like new condition.
Thank you.
Kevin
Is it rgw body itself flexing ? Or is part 40 in this diagram where it bows ?http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-part/917376470/0247/1500600/p0804037/00001.html
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, I can't really tell, which is part of the issue. It could be parts 39 and 40, or part 30, or maybe parts 32 or 35, as well as the body (don't know what rgw means).The wheels on both rear sides slant about the same when rolling the mower backwards. The wheels do not slant (or not nearly to the same degree) when moving the mower forward.FYI - I will not be able to respond very quickly the next couple of days as I will be traveling for work.

It sounds like the handle bar brackets which also hold the wheels as well could be loose

If you lifr the mower up to the point the back wheels are off the ground , how much play do they have in them ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As indicated on 6/21, I was out of town for work for a couple of days.I'd estimate that there is about 1/2" or so of play in each back wheel (maybe even less in right wheel) when just lifting those wheels off the ground. Those wheels move more - maybe 3/4" or more - after rolling the mower backward, the wheels slant (and bind some) and I then pick up the mower.

Have you tried flat washers

The brackets that house the wheel bolts may be bowing as well iF the brackets aren't tightened

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have tried flat washers. There is actually an additional flat washer on one wheel vs. the other to reduce the play in the wheels. And we have tightened the bolts on the brackets supporting the wheels. (I can possibly re-check the bolts and brackets again tomorrow.)Have you dealt with this issue on a Craftsman mower of this type before?
but most times once you isolate what's allowing the wheels to bow then we can figure out why , if it's missing part of the rear sub frame that can cause it to bend from the deck
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Based on your experience with this issue, what are the most common causes?I guess we will have to go with that. I checked yesterday to see that brackets were tight, took wheels on and off and switched them from side to side, and a couple of other things. I didn't find anything loose, nor did changing wheels, etc. make a difference. Although it does appear there is some slight flexing, I can't tell where exactly it is.So I think we need to go with your experience on the most common causes of this issue. Can you please let me know what those are?Thank you.

If it's missing part of the sub frame the body will flex

Looking under the deck do you have the pieces that bolt from the underside in the rear of the deck ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I looked and didn't see much besides a metal housing around the blade and the mulch plug, but then I am not sure what I am really looking for. I couldn't tell by the the parts diagram, and I don't believe you mentioned any parts numbers.
It seems to me that it would be unusual that Sears would assemble a mower, and give it to a customer, without a sub frame. Yet, you're saying this is common in your experience. It will probably be a long time before we consider another Craftsman mower!Because we haven't been able to pinpoint the issue and if major parts are missing, I decided to bring it to a shop that services Craftsman mowers to see if they can determine the problem visually. If they say its major parts and costs, I will probably junk or recycle the mower, which is too bad. It seems in good shape otherwise.

Some of the frames had fLexington wherevthe wheels would kick out , this was more on the 22 inch cuts . Being I can't visually see it , it's hard to know which exact part is allowing it to flex

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this was a 22" as noted above. And yes, it was difficult to communicate and figure this out this problem without both visually looking at the mower. Thus my decision to try a different means by bringing it to a shop where a mechanic could visually try to determine the problem.

Ok , from what I've dealt with it may be the deck itself but hopefully they can find out

Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician