Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Can't get my troy bilt 8000 to start. Been sitting up couple

Customer Question
Can't get my troy bilt...
Can't get my troy bilt 8000 to start. Been sitting up for a couple of years...gas tank was totally dry, unable to tell about the oil, just added a lot.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes I put about 2 1/2 gallons in. Shut off valve.... Hmmm let me look at this very helpful Quick Start Guide... I don't see a shut off valve... Yes, brand new gas, got it last week for mower.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: What work?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have no idea what to do to start it. I used it a couple of years ago but can't remember how to start it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 day by:
6/18/2016
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 1 year ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

To start it, turn the switch to on.

Close the choke.

Crank the unit.

When it starts, open the choke.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, it would not start! I had already said I had followed the Quick Start Instructions done everything it said to do and STILL wouldn't start.
The instructions Hank gave me were simply to "Start it"... Well, I TRIED TO, and it wouldn't start!
I was hoping for some troubleshooting help to see WHY it would not start.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Finally, my neighbor came over and gave the rope a couple of jerks on the motor pull and it started right up.

Your exact words were "I have no idea what to do to start it. I used it a couple of years ago but can't remember how to start it. " And that is what I gave you - instructions on how to start it.

You did mention looking at a Quick Start Guide, but you did not say that you had tried that, and it did not work. I can't see or hear what you are doing, and I only know as much - or as little - as you tell me.

In fact, when the system asked you if you were going to do the work yourself, you replied "What work?"

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Listen:
This WAS an ER. Our power had been off for almost 24 hours and it was 95 degrees. I don't know of anyone who uses a generator for fun. The "start" button was doing zero. I was unable to pull the rope--physically--but not sure if THAT was the reason it wouldn't start. The LAST time I used it, the button started it, so I was expecting THAT to happen THIS time.
I don't need any help NOW, I informed you that my neighbor came over when he got off work and was able to pull the rope twice and it kicked on.
But I STILL don't know why the "START" button wouldn't start it.
The Quick Start Menu" walks you through it step by step. Only problem is it doesn't MENTION what to do if it DOESNT start using the "START" button.
Thanks anyway.
Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician