Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Have Kohler 590-218. Battery was dead. jumped it ran OK 20

Customer Question

Have Kohler 590-218. Battery was dead. jumped it ran OK for about 20 minutes died. replaced the battery. Started right up then died like it was shut off after about a minute. It has spark. there is fuel to the carb. what is the solenoid(?) on the bottom of the carb?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Let me check. be right back
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. Fuel is running clean out of the fuel line at the carb.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: it was running fine before it died. The battery was completely dead before I replaced it. 0 voltage between the poles
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wire going to the bottom of the carb is hot when key is on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It turned out to be the fuel shutoff solenoid. I took the plunger off of it and the mower runs fine. Why is it there? to keep fuel from running into the carb when the engine is shut off? what happens if I leave it "disabled"?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

The shut off solenoid on the bottom of the carb is often called an "anit-backfire solenoid".

Its main function is to completely shut off the flow of gas to the engine when you shut it down, to keep it from backfiring.

It is also used to help prevent gas from siphoning into your crankcase if the float needle should fail.