Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I am at a church camp with three Yamaha 8 HP four stroke

Customer Question

I am at a church camp with three Yamaha 8 HP four stroke manual start motors recent vintage. The motors will not even pop at all.
This is the first start of the season so I am fairly certain the motors were fogged and serviced in the fall.
We are in Northern Minnesota so I am trying to get the motors running for the campers coming up.
Gas is full with fresh gas, vent is open, connection to motor and tank is good;. kill switch is in place starting with the 5 pull stage position. 50 pulls later no spark of ignition.
I read the owners manual front to back nothing in there.
Ideas please?
Bill
******************
Thanks you on behalf of the kids.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the "...Yamaha 8 HP four stroke manual start motors..."

Or if outboard motors, then would have to be re-categorized to the Boat section.

Still, for the description of "... no spark of ignition...", proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • check/exercise the KILL switch and other On/Off switches (if present);
  • • exercise likewise the gear shift lever (if present) as most Yamaha motors would not start unless in neutral;
  • • check the coils and their wiring under the rotor;
  • - as well as the ignition system (CDI), its wiring including the ignition coil and spark plug wire + cap.