Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Murray (MTD) 2012 38" lawn tractor - Mod # 13AC76LF058

Customer Question

Murray (MTD) 2012 38" lawn tractor - Mod # *****Will not cut, except at highest deck setting. Recently replaced both spindles assemblies and blades. I have leveled & raised the deck per manufacturer instructions.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Does it rough cut at lower settings? With engine off, and deck engaged, is the belt tight enough that it can not be turned on the pulleys? It needs to be tight, so it does not slip when it hits load! Are the blades on correctly? Turned up end on the blade always goes up!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does not cut at lower deck heights (4 and below). At setting 3, I believe something was binding due to belt getting overheated/smoking momentarily until i disengaged the pto. The belt is tight. Blades were installed according manufaturer illustations with offset end down.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

offset end down???

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The ear on the end of the blades go UP> is that the way you have them?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you see my response? Were blades on correctly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay, other things came up. Checked out a couple of things, blades are installed incorrectly (with ears down), will fix that in a few minutes.
Belt tension seem loose. I am able to turn the blades by hand with PTO engaged & there is a lot of play in the belt. How can I tension the belt?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

# ***** and # ***** are the sorings that should tighten the idle and the belt. There is no adjustment.