JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

17 hp briggs. getting oil blowing out the crank case vent

Customer Question

17 hp briggs. getting oil blowing out the crank case vent tube into the air filter
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-8l2ya97b- replied 1 year ago.

Your head gasket is blown between the cylinder and valve chamber. This causes oil in air filter and heavy smoke out the exhaust. or Check the cylinder compression. If the pistion rings are shot then the blow by will cause the problem you describe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Compression is 75 lbs in both cylinders. I removed the heads to eliminate the compression in the cylinders. when I crank the engine, it still blows oil out the crank case breather tube.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the PCV valve in the valve cover ever go bad?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

First thing to check would be to make certain that the crankcase is not overfilled with oil.

Then I would be looking for any kind of air leaks that may allow the crankcase to become pressurized which would cause it to blow oil out through the crankcase vent. If you see no problem there then I would proceed with replacing the crankcase breather assembly, I have seen the reed plate in the breather assembly crack or break which will also cause the same type of issue.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.