How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hank F. Your Own Question
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Category: Small Engine
Satisfied Customers: 15187
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
Type Your Small Engine Question Here...
Hank F. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 100 amp home electric panel, and a 10000 start/8250

Customer Question

I have a 100 amp home electric panel, and a 10000 start/8250 running watts gen. (I have calculated that the gen can run up to 63 or so amps.)
I am going to buy the 6334 switch, which has two 100amp circuit breakers.
Would it not be wise to change the gen breaker on the 6334 to a 60 amp breaker, so that the gen doesn't try to draw more than 60 amps from the 100 amp main panel?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

The genset does not pull amperage from the panel. The home pulls amperage from the genset.

You could change the breakers if you wanted to, but the breakers on the genset itself would be sufficient to protect the genset from overloading.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Was this what you wanted to know?