Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

16HP Toro Briggs & Stratton OHV won't start. Battery

Customer Question
16HP Toro Briggs & Stratton...
16HP Toro Briggs & Stratton OHV won't start. Battery needs a little charge but providing 279 amps. Turn the key and get a click or pop but I don't think it's coming from the starter. I've tapped the starter but did nothing. Engine is not turning at all. Got off the seat and turned the key and heard no click. So I think the safety switch is fine.Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
6/7/2016
Technician: Wayne, Engine Rebuilder replied 1 year ago
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

do you have a volt meter , we need to see what the voltage at the starter

before and cranking , can not go below 10.8 volts

and needs to be 13+ volts at the battery

let me know , Please

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I'm doing this correctly, it's showing 12.5 volts at the battery and 12.5 at the starter.

HI

Sorry for the delay,

Took my Grandson to airport, joined the Army today

to become a Doctor

Yes readings are Little low , but OK

what was it at starter when you tried to start it the Reading in volts

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wow! You have to be very proud. Thank him for his service for our country....I just checked voltage again. Cranking, although there's no cranking happening: 12.28 volts. Not cranking 12.35 and now at the battery 12.41. I had a battery charger on for a bit before the earlier readings.

HI

Yes I am very Proud, Had little wet eyes in morning

I am a 1970 Vet

Ok, that is saying no power to starter

turn the key to on, and jump starter , small terminal to Batt terminal

it should start

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It cranked a few times and then stopped. Thought maybe the jumper cables weren't making a good connection. Wiggled them. Took them off and on. Eventually the engine wouldn't do one revolution. Tried the jumper setting on the charger and got same results. Turned over a couple times then it wouldn't turnover completely.

HI

Thank you for that

I suggest you replace the battery , it is not having the amps

that is needed to crank engine , even with a jump start

That is my suggestion

If this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more Stars

If more info is need use reply button

Not Poor/Bad Service

Wayne, Engine Rebuilder