Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Kohler technician

Customer Question

Kohler technician
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
purchased a new kohler replacement mower and the electrical connections do not match.New motor is CH680-3107Old motor is CH22S-66542New motor has a 5 prong male connectorOld motor has a 4 prong male connector
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Service manual fr both models are in the same manual. starting with page 33. Did new engine come with any kind of wiring diagram? WHat is the source of the fifth wire, that is not on the old engine? Fuel solenoid, or maybe oil pressure switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No wiring diagram on new motor. Think the 5th may be fuel shut off at carb. Have been on Kohler site. Need to know how to direct wire
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Old engine did not have fuel solenoid? Fuel solenoid would wire to accessory post of the keyswitch, on with key on, off with key off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would need to confirm that. Unfortunately traveling for work and will not be back until tomorrow
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK> I'm retired, no hurry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can send you pics of the two connectors
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I would be much better served by where each wire goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Headed over to mower shortly
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

oK>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By looking at wiring diagram on Kohler website can you tell me what new wires are. I can trace wires on mower
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What is model application? You want me to tell you where the wires on the new motor go to? 5 wires, where is voltage regulator? On new engine or on tractor? Two wires on engine are the stator wires for voltage regulator , one wire for afterfire solenoid on the carburetor, One wire for starter terminal, and one wire for power to the keyswitch through a fuse. Stator wires both will be same color, Afterfire solenod will have its own color, as well as the two wires coming from the starter solenoid. Go by wire color!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My job keeps preventing me from getting my work done
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I here that!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New motor has 5 wires
White
Red
Green
Blue
PurpleMower Connector
Red
Red
Tan with white strip
Red with black strip
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Ok , now tell me where the five wires come from. And where is the voltage regulator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you call me or I call you
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

white wire, from start terminal on the starter, has to go to start terminal on keyswitch.-------------------------red wire, is the fuel solenoid in the carburetor. --------------------------------------------------------------------Green wire, oil pressure switch. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Blue wire, shows to be same as the red wire.??-------------------------------------------------------

Purple wire , output from the voltage regulator , to the battery positive to charge the battery. This is using the fixed timing wiring diagram.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Phone call is extra charge and I don't know what good it would. You have to determine what each wire does, and make the right connection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you getting my pictures
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I see one picture of top of a dash .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let's pretend I know what all 5 wires go toWould you be able to tell me what wires on my mower to connect them to
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blue goes to solenoid on starterGreen to sensor near carb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Purple goes to voltage regulator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't see red or white
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just found another wire only mower. It is orange with black strip it was Ina sensor they screws into the bottom of the old engine. My guess is it controlled the oil and temp light
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

blue to white. or the start terminal on the solenoid. ----------Green to red or to the wire on the carburetor. -------purple to purple, regulator, --------orange to green.oil pressure.