Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Ridgid Generator that came with a Yamaha MZ360

Customer Question

hi Pearl. I have a Ridgid Generator that came with a Yamaha MZ360 engine. It needs a new carburator, but I can't tell what the replacement part is. I've taken the carb off and know it's made by Mikuni
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: the carb has the following numbers etched on the top of it... 7CT60Z271
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Looks like this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does not look like that. mine does not have a solenoid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would it help if I sent you a picture?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the generator starts, it runs for 5 to 10 minutes and then shuts off. I had a service technician look at it one time. He disassembled and cleaned it, but got the same results, i.e. it ran for a few minutes and then shut off. It was he who told me I should just get a new carb off eBay or something because he understood the carbs on these generators were problematic. Problem is I just can't find what's the right part.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to be clear, he disassembled and cleaned the carburetor, but got the same results
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

did you see the link on the carb?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've provided you a couple of pictures. if it would help you, I can take off the air cleaner and remove the carb to get you better pictures or pictures from a different angle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did see the link from Amazon that you provided. I do not believe that is the correct carb. My carb does not have a solenoid and it looks like that one does. Mine doesn't have any electrical wires coming off of it
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Here it is!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had also found that one before. it's close, but not exact. I don't know if it is close enough for it to work on my generator. The throttle lever looks slightly different. If it were under $40 or so I'd buy it just to try. But, this one is $140. I don't know if this tells you anything but the one on the AliExpress website you just sent has the # ***** Z282 etched on it. Mine is 7CT60 Z271.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the choke on the one on the AliExpress website is also different than the choke on mine, but I can certainly live with that
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

i think it will work, but we could address the engine dying. When engine dies, does it restart immediately or does it have to sit and cool? Does it have spark when it quits?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it restarts fairly quickly. how do I know if it has a spark when it quits?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the technician who had looked at it earlier believed that the fuel would cut off. more specifically, he believed the float in the carb would just get stuck and therefore the engine would die
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Possible, but sticking float usually does not come back unless carburetor is tapped on. To check spark, take a spare spark plug and as soon as it quits, remove spark plug wire and attach the spare spark plug , and with it grounded, see if there is spark. If no spark, locate the ignition coil and remove the kill wire, and test again. If no spark with kill wire removed, the coil is failing. If it does have spark, the kill circuit is killing the spark, maybe a oil pressure shutdown!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you think it might not be the carb after all?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I would do some testing before replacing carb!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am capable of taking something apart and putting it back together. I've changed the spark plug, so that's no problem. However, I wouldn't know how to find the ignition coil if it bit me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I find the ignition coil and the kill wire
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

spark plug wire is coming directly out of it!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

and kill wire is the only wire on the coil, other than the spark plug wire cable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I ground the spark plug, per your suggestion above?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the ignition coil something that is also replaceable? If it's relatively inexpensive I can just buy one of those and change it out to see if I get better results
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

you just lay it so it is touching metal to metal, on the threaded end. Or use a wire with alligator clips as ground to the thread on the plug .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would you suggest I just change the ignition coil and try that?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

No, not without checking it for spark.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've reread what you suggest I do to test the ignition coil. can you explain what you mean by oil pressure shut down? what would cause the oil pressure to drop?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

First we need to test with spark plug grounded , when it quits! If it has spark, it will be fuel problem. Only if you find no spark, would you want to go any further. As for the oil pressure shutoff, it can be a bad oil pressure switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok this is helpful, but I need to go to church now. this is the first time I've used this service. is it possible to pick up the conversation again a little later?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, there should be a link in your email to get back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you, ***** *****
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

thank you

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you find the problem?