Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I mow while and it just shut off on me, I'll push the brake

Customer Question

I mow for a while and it just shut off on me, I'll push the brake in and it will start right up but when I let the brake up it stalls out. I can't even mow with it anymore because it stalls out everytime I let the brake off. I see there is a little box that the brake pushes a plunger in and when I release the brake it lets it out. Not sure the problem or not.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: I just had the CPU replaced last week at a John Deere dealer
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Model number of unit? CPU? Sounds expensive! Warranty?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
X540
I don't know what year
I was mowing along and it just shut off. Now it starts fine but when I let the brake out it stalls out everytime.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The run circuit is not complete, when you let off the brake, the mower thinks there is no one in the seat. The seat switch, brake switch and the pto switch all work together to complete the run circuit. Start by checking the seat switch and the it's harness. Next would be the brake switch, Then the continuity between the two switches.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already checked the seat switch and that is working right
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Then the bake switch needs to be checked, it is four wire switch, with two circuits, one is N/O and other side is N/C, check each side with multi-meter , and if it changes from closed to open or open to closed, it is ok.