Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Predator 13hp 420cc was running great and then it acted like

Customer Question

Predator 13hp 420cc was running great and then it acted like it was out of gas and won't start now I've checked spark changed fuel pulled carb cleaned needle and whole carb if I hold the little rod all the way sometimes it will pop off but only for few sec never stay running
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: Always ran good engine has like 6 hrs on it but have had for to long to take back
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If you put a teaspoon of fuel direct into the spark plug hole, re-install the spark plug , will it run for a few seconds? If yes, then it has to be fule through the carb. If not, check the compression, if compression is good, check the valves and the timing key on the crankshaft to flywheel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have put fuel directly in spark plug and it does same thing it fires but just for a second just like it does if I choke it and hold the little rod to the left but won't stay running
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If it does not run for a few seconds, check for compression, use your finger with rag over the spark plug hole, it should have enough compression to move your finger. If it has compression, I think I would check the timing key between the flywheel and the crankshaft.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On top of tank there is a line going down to a black box under motor and 1 more line coming off the black box going to air box what are they for the bowl is filling w fuel
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

They are vent lines, in case the carburetor floods.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked compression it has compression this motor has a centerfuge clutch to a sprocket what do u mean by timming key this is side shaft with clutch
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

No, the other end, where the pull start would be. The flywheel side, , the centrifugal clutch is on the output end, not the flywheel end.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pull the pull rope off and what am I looking for this motor has put on a golf cart and previous owner put clutch and sprockets on and had to small sproket on back I changed sprocket and drove down road and it acted like it was out of fuel and bogged to a stop and wouldn't restart now it pops out the carb when u choke it always had to choke to start before
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What am I looking for on flywheel does something happen to these to make them not run
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The key shears off and this changes the timing, so engine will not start or run, Did you look at the link I sent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will pull off and look at key will let u know can I still contact u tomorrow or how's this process work
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you can come back tomorrow, there will be a link in your email to get back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Key way is intact as its sapose to be checked valves all looks good
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you check the valves for clearance? Around .006 inch intake and exhaust.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got spec off manufacturer site do these have a fuel pump or do they just draw from bowl I can get it to start and run for 25 45 secs only on choke
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Is there a pulse fuel pump between the tank and the carburetor? three hoses, one from tank, one to carb, and the P pulse line from crankcase or rocker cover?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 off tank to carb 1 to black box under motor 1 off black box back to carb enclosure big hose from valve cover to carb enclosure
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Black box sounds like fuel pump! Do you get fuel pulsing if you remove the inlet to the carburetor and crank?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No neither line in or out have fuel or suction and there is 1 nipple on bottom left that has nothing on it it hasn't from the beginning
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Fuel flowing to the carburetor, if you remove line at carb?