Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

I can start the engine on my model 144 4 cycle cultivator,

Customer Question

I can start the engine on my model 144 4 cycle cultivator, but when I engage the tiller the engine dies. I can start it on one pull and when I engage the cultivator it dies again. What can I do to remedy this?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: The only other thing is that the cable that engages the tiller seems to stick and I need to manually push it back before I restart. When the cable is pulled as if the cultivator is engaged, it won't start. When I push the cable back in, it starts on the first pull.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, have you tried letting it run for a min to warm up ? That's what they told us to do when I sold them. How old is the unit and where was it bought?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has idled for over 5 minutes, and when I engage to start the tines rotating, it dies. Sounds like it isn't getting enough fuel. The unit is about 6 years old. The carburetor was rebuilt last season. It was bought at a big box store.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It might have 3 hours run time on the carburetor rebuild last season.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

It needs a new carb. When I worked for the retailer we had problems with brand new units and replaced many carburetors.

Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

Before replacing the carb check the valve settings. I have info somewhere and will send.

Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

valve info