Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Why cant I get my rider to start? If I take the plug wire

Customer Question

Why cant I get my rider to start? If I take the plug wire off and hold it approx. 1/2 or less away, the mower will start. As soon as I put the plug wire on it dies.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Locate the coil where the spark plug wire originates from and remove the single wire to it, this is the kill wire, then check for spark. The kill wire may be shorting out the spark when the spark plug wire is attached to the spark plug.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no spark after the kill wire is disconnected.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Replace the coil, as the coil and the magnet in the flywheel is all that make the spark.