Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Have a briggs Stratton engine 27 hp model 44q777 type 5148g8

Customer Question

have a briggs Stratton engine 27 hp model 44q777 type 5148g8 on a bad boy z turn can be mowing and it will just die but it will start right back up and run foe 20 30 min and do it again sometimes it only run for 10 min or so and die
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the solenoid switch on cab and replaced fuel pump and new gas filter , seems like a fuel problem but don't know where
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
maybe vapor lock from tank ?? put new gas cap too
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

How did you check the fuel solenoid at the carburetor? Best test is to remove it and plug the hole! With twin engine, unless you have a low oil pressure switch, it is not likley to loose spark, which makes it fuel related. You have the Briggs pulse type fuel pump? Or an electric fuel pump?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulse
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Then the fuel solenoid is very suspect!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replace it and still have same thing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What gets me it starts right back up not I do have to choke it could it be fuel line getting hot and causing it to vapor lock the fuel line on this machine is kind of close to engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You replaced the fuel solenoid?You have the old one? Take the old one, and cut the tip of that closes the main jet, and reinstall it as a dummy, and test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did that too
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

!! Wow, i'm out of ideas! Have you ran the test line from fule pump inlet back into the fuel tank filler opening and ran test? Bypassing the tank and the tank outlet line.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not yet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I try that tomorrow
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still have problems I have tried everything except changing carb.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Does Bad Boy put an oil pressure shutoff switch on the engine, or mower that would kill spark if the switch closes, from low oil pressure or??? With nothing helping with the fuel system, maybe it is loosing spark?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it don't have low oil press switch
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

With engine just dying, and will restart immediately, it gives no time to determine if it has lost spark or fuel. It has to lose one, or the other, and without knowing, it's just throwing good parts after bad. Can be a loose wire in the kill circuit, that would short out the spark, but seems like at some point, it would not start, and you would find it has no spark. And the fuel, typical carburetor problem is the electric solnoid, which you have eliminated, and if the float sticks, it would not fix itself! I'm at a loss as what to try next, other than running a fuel line direct from the fule pump, back into the fule tank filler, bypassing the fuel tank and outlet.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I do see a bank of 5 relays, all alike on the unit. If a rlay drops out, it could kill the engine. I don't find a caption that shows which relay does what. All look to be the same. Number them and then try switching them , to see if problem changes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got the carb off now cleaning it and checking a few things.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK>