Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Craftsman Ride on Lawnmower Model###-##-#### Drove it and

Customer Question
Craftsman Ride on Lawnmower Model###-##-#### Drove...
Craftsman Ride on Lawnmower Model###-##-####
Drove it and mowed lawn last week...low on fuel sputtered but got me back to the house
Today when I started it smoke came out
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
5/25/2016
Technician: eauto, Mechanic replied 1 year ago
eauto
eauto, Mechanic

how long did it smoke? is the oil fuel contaminated? when was the last oil change?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
while it was running...I have no idea about the oil...it is 2 years old

first step is change the oil if the oil is full of fuel it will smoke as described

If all electrical been eliminated as failures then it points to pump failure or other internal failure..............................................................................................................................Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding.

Diagnostic Test

1. CHECK FOR RELATED DTC'S
With the scan tool, check for other Transmission DTCs.
Are there any Line Pressure Sensor or Transmission Relay or TCM Power Input DTCs present also?

Yes

• Diagnose and repair the DTC(s).

No

• Go to 2

2. CHECK IF THE DTC IS CURRENT
With the scan tool, check the STARTS SINCE SET counter for P0869.
Is the STARTS SINCE SET COUNTER 2 or less?

Yes

• Go to 3

No

• Go to 9

3. CHECK THE PCM AND WIRING
Turn the ignition off to the lock position.
Remove the Ignition Switch Feed fuse from the TIPM.

CAUTION: Removal of the Ignition Switch Feed fuse from the TIPM will prevent the vehicle from being started in gear.

WARNING: The Ignition Switch Feed fuse must be removed from the TIPM. Failure to do so can result in personal injury or death.

Install the Transmission Simulator, Miller tool #8333 and the Electronic Transmission Adapter kit.
With the Transmission Simulator select the "OFF" position on the "Input/Output Speed" switch.
Ignition on, engine not running.
With the scan tool, monitor the Line Pressure during the following step.
Using the Transmission Simulator, set the rotary switch to each of the 3 line pressure positions.

NOTE: All three scan tool Line Pressure readings should be steady and ±14 kPa or 2.0 psi (0.2 volts) of the reading specified on the Transmission Simulator.

Did the Line Pressure read within ±14 kPa or 2.0 psi (0.2 volts) in all three positions?

Yes

• Go to 4

No

• Go to 5

4. CHECK THE LINE PRESSURE SENSOR CALIBRATION
Disconnect the Transmission Simulator, Miller tool #8333 and the Electronic Transmission Adapter kit and reconnect all previously disconnected connectors.
Install the Line Pressure Gauge, Miller tool #C-3293, 0 to 2000 kPa or 0 to 300 psi in the L/R pressure port.
Start the engine in park.
Monitor the Line Pressure readings on the scan tool and the pressure gauge.
Compare the Line Pressure readings between the scan tool and the pressure gauge.
Is the pressure gauge reading within 34 kPa or 5 psi of the scan tool reading?

Yes

• Repair the internal transmission and inspect the Transmission Oil Pump and replace if necessary. If no problem is found, replace the Pressure Control Solenoid.
  • Perform 40/41TE VERIFICATION TEST

No

• Replace the Line Pressure Sensor.
  • Perform 40/41TE VERIFICATION TEST

5. CHECK THE (T118) PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN

Disconnect the Transmission Simulator, Miller tool #8333.
Disconnect the Powertrain Control Module C4 harness connector.

CAUTION: Do not probe the PCM harness connectors. Probing the PCM harness connectors will damage the PCM terminals resulting in poor terminal to pin connection. Install Miller tool #8815 to perform diagnosis.

Measure the resistance of the (T118) Pressure Control Solenoid Control circuit between the Line Pressure Sensor/Variable Force Solenoid Assembly harness connector and the appropriate terminal of Miller tool #8815.
Is the resistance above 5.0 ohms?

Yes

• Repair the (T118) Pressure Control Solenoid Control circuit for an open.
  • Perform 40/41TE VERIFICATION TEST

No

• Go to 6

6. CHECK THE (T118) PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Measure the resistance between ground and the (T118) Pressure Control Solenoid Control circuit.
Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

Yes

• Repair the (T118) Pressure Control Solenoid Control circuit for a short to ground.
  • Perform 40/41TE VERIFICATION TEST

No

• Go to 7

7. CHECK THE (F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN

Measure the resistance of the (F856) 5-volt Supply circuit between the Line Pressure Sensor/Variable Force Solenoid Assembly harness connector and the appropriate terminal of Miller tool #8815.
Is the resistance above 5.0 ohms?

Yes

• Repair the (F856) 5-volt Supply circuit for an open.
  • Perform 40/41TE VERIFICATION TEST

No

• Go to 8

8. CHECK THE (F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Disconnect the PCM C1 harness connector.
Disconnect the Line Pressure Sensor/Variable Force Solenoid Assembly harness connector.

Measure the resistance between ground and the (F856) 5-volt Supply circuit.
Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

Yes

• Repair the (F856) 5-volt Supply circuit for a short to ground.
  • Perform 40/41TE VERIFICATION TEST

No

• Using the schematics as a guide, check the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) terminals for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. Check for any Service Bulletins that may apply. If no problems are found, replace and program the PCM. With the scan tool perform the Quick Learn procedure.
  • Perform 40/41TE VERIFICATION TEST

9. INTERMITTENT WIRING AND CONNECTORS
The conditions necessary to set this DTC are not present at this time.
Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors specific to this circuit.
Wiggle the wires while checking for shorted and open circuits.
With the scan tool, check the DTC EVENT DATA to help identify the conditions in which the DTC was set.
Check for any Service Bulletins that may apply.
Where there any problems found?

Yes

• Repair as necessary.
  • Perform 40/41TE VERIFICATION TEST
  • Test Complete
eauto
eauto
eauto, Mechanic