Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Toro proline 120 riding mower. After hitting a tree it will

Customer Question

Toro proline 120 riding mower. After hitting a tree it will no longer go forward or in reverse. How best to troubleshoot the issue?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  John Oliver replied 1 year ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** to hear about this. I looked really hard at the pics but I cant see the cause of why the machine wont move. maybe I'm missing something. my fist thought is that the shock from a sudden stop may have sheared the key on the hydro drive pulley. can you verify that the pulley and shaft are turning?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the Hydro drive pulley the thing that's located underneath the seat that moves back-and-forth when I move the pedal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If yes, it moves, but seems like it could move more?

it should look something like this

that assembly is your hydrostatic drive. is it possible the belt jumped off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the belts are on & seem to be moving fine. One important thing to note, is that the mower pushes very easy right now, where as it used to be very difficult to push when it's not running…

that's not good. that means that something has come disconnected from the transmission to the drive wheels. i'm not sure there is much more I can do to help here without seeing it for myself. in this situation it may be best to have a lawn and garden mechanic have a look at it before going much further. Estimates are always a good idea. I will opt out incase another expert wants to chime in

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Where was the blow to the mower when you hit tree? Have you raised the drive wheels and turned one manually to see if the other rotates in the opposite direction? This shows if the differential is ok. Also this will give you a chance to see if the drive hub for the wheel has sheared the drive key, between the hub and the axle. Where is the freewheel on the unit? Could the freewheel lever be in the free position, keeping drove from engaging?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

question not updating!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm sorry I've been off on a family event & haven't seen my text for a bit. My dad actually hit the tree over a year ago (he's 76), & the mower has been sitting since then...ill try to get beck with you one the updates. Your info is very helpful so far, thanks!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK>Let me know.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you get a chance to find problem?