JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a john deere gt275 lawn mower that the battery light

Customer Question

I have a john deere gt275 lawn mower that the battery light (yellow) is on when ever the mower is running I have checked the fuses on the board behind the dash what else could it be
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Hi,, my name is***** will be assisting you.Typically this is caused by either a low battery or a charging system that is not properly working in order to keep the battery fully charged. The light is designed so that it lets you know when the system is not working. I would have the charging system checked to make certain that it is putting out the proper voltage in order to keep the battery charged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I wanted to take it to a shop I would have done so i wanted some technical assistance with checking this and troubleshooting on my own without buying a manual or taking to a repair shop no thanks
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
You can check the system yourself if you have a voltmeter. Locate the wires that come out from under the flywheel on the engine. With the engine running at full throttle check for AC voltage on the two wires by touching the red test lead to one wire and the black test lead to the other your reading needs to be at least 28 volts AC, if it is not then the alternator or the magnets in the inside of the flywheel are bad. If you have at least 28 volts AC then I would move on to testing the voltage regulator if it has one. Locate the single red wire that comes out of the voltage regulator and set your tester to volts DC, touch the red test lead to it and the black test lead to the positive post of the battery, with the engine running at full throttle you want to see something between 14 - 15 volts DC, if you are not getting 14 - 15 volts DC then the regulator is bad and will need to be replaced.