Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Toro GTS5 6HP will not stay running. The engine will start

Customer Question

Toro GTS5 6HP will not stay running. The engine will start after priming it, but then stops. Must be primed in order fo rit to start. The engine has been running this mowing season.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. .
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me which engine you have on your toro ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6HP 4cycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a vertical shaft, priming bulb on the front left looking at the engine from the from of mower
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
On the cover of the engine does it say briggs , sounds like a 290 cc briggs engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't recall, it looks like a briggs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mower is not with me
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
190 cc engine Ok when you cleaned the cats on it did you clean the bowl bolt that holds the carburetor bowl on? . It has ports in it, 2 on the sides and 1 in the top where it threads in . You can take a can of gumout carburetor cleaner and spray down into the hole where the bolt threads in and it should shoot out the sides
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The gas tank fill is on the left rear. Someone else cleaned the carb. I will personally do that task.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Ok when you get a chance to look at the mower we will confirm its a 190 cc engine . There also a toro model number on the deck somewhere
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi just wondering if you got a chance to see if the engine was a Briggs 190 cc engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
To start lower the deck all the way down , there will be 2 pins on each side ,you need to take a screwdriver and pop those off , the the front of the deck has pins you pull on and quick release
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
At that point you may need to push the deck back to get the front lift arms off then go and remove the upper arms on each side that we took the pins out of earlier , then the lower ones , you Wil have to wrestle the deck some to free these