Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a lt 1046 and it won't turn over very long and stops

Customer Question
the starter stops an dc...
I have a lt 1046 and it won't turn over very long and stops the starter stops an dc the volts drop off to 9 volts and the starter starts sizzling. Is there a compression release on that engine and how do I test it
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: I just put 9n a new head gasket because it was blown out
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
5/15/2016
Technician: Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician replied 1 year ago
Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Have you checked to make sure the battery doesn't have a bad cell ? When you did the head gasket the cam wasn't moved was it ? , long as the timing marks stayed lined up it should keep timing
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a compression release in this engine
That has a kohler engine correct ? . If so can you get the model number etc off the motor.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did have the battery on the charger for awhile and the mower started right up shut the engine off and it wouldn't start again just turned over hard untill compression builds up then stops turning yes it is a kohler 23 courage engine
Ok , the compression release is on the cam in the engine
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I test it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am going to try another battery tomorrow
If it's losing a cell it my have 12 volts but weak cold cranking amps
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The known good battery did not start the mower
Ok , was the cam moved at all ? Another known issue with these engines is the exhaust valve not properly seating
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They looked good when I had the heads off I adusted the valves they were all moving. I jumped the starter relay and it still would not turn over.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I didn't have the oil pan off to see if everything was in time I had it running g after installing the heads and it ran fine
The way to check this is remove the ohv cover and look under the spring , the exhaust valve guide may be sitting higher than the intake valve guide , if so it's not properly seating
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Opened the cover the guides are different the intake has a seal and the exhaust doesn't the tips 9f the valve stems are the same height
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wgen the plugs were out the engine turned over fine so it the valves weren't seating wouldn't the engine turn over and just not start
Can you get me the model number off the engine cover , I'm going to get the service manual to go through valve adjustments . On briggs engines you have to adjust them on the compression stroke
No it Wil build up compression
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Model number sv720s. Spec number. Ps sv720s 0010
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Serial number(###) ###-####
Hee is the service manual for your engine
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what do you recommend me to do that is how I set the valves do you think that there is a starter problem
There could be if it was smoking but I don't want you throwing parts at it , remove the spark plug and see if it turns it over
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I double check the relay had no voltage drop across it I removed the spark plugs and the engine now will turn over I check the valve on each stroke and they were opening when they should I put an amp clamp on the starter when the spark plugs are out and the starter was drawing 106 amps the starter sound rough it sound like it is dragging is this too many amps with no load the engine just turns over free by hand
It sounds like the starter may have damaged when it was smoking
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok i removed the engine and took the oil pan off the timing marks on the cam and the crankshaft do line up. I can't see that there is a compression release on the cam shaft I don't understand how this compression release works on this engine I can't see how the valves can do anything different I just need to understand how ithe compression release works in this engine I don't see anything in the manual I must be missing something
This video shows the compression release on the cam https://youtu.be/JExXHohaWqo
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I watch this video before that is why I took the oil pan off but I found a solid metal cam gear with out the compression release levers. And my valve guides have a seal on the one valve it is hard to compare
Usually the compression release is located on the cam I'll check to see if kohler made and different options
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was wondering if there was a different cam someone put in or f o I not have the right starter
I think I'm on to something , your kohler may have what is called a acr. .. automatic compression release .
Page 19 in the manual talks about it
Have you checked the timing key in the flywheel for shearing?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I removed the cam from the engine and there is no compression release on the cam shaft where else could it be I done remember anything in the heads do you think that i f on have the right starter or what else would you check
Was there anything on the underside of the cam ?
If not that I'd check the flywheel key for shearing
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pulled the flywheel off and the key is not sheared anrhing else that you can think of to check
Did you happen to see the underside of the cam ?
Going by your service manual the engine should have hydrologic lifters so the valves are non adjustable
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did remove the cam and there is nothing behind the cam solid metal and the lifters they have tappets and adjustable valves on this engine
At this point I'm not sure , it's gotta be the cam or the automatic compression release mechanism , it may be with the valves but I can opt out to see if someone else may be able to help you
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Let me make a wild guess. The starter is bad. Te engine should spin easily with no more than 9 volts drop off on the crank. Starter is bad! You are doing way to much and finding nothing, because there is nothing wrong but the starter!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you think the starter is bad. Well I got the whole engine tore down and I can't see anything wrong. Customer said that he just put on a new starter last year started the mower I time is whst I am told I wonder if they gave him the wrong starter.
I think that is what is going on, just a bad starter!
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician