Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Troy Bilt 13AP60TP766. It will not move, forward or

Customer Question

I have a Troy Bilt 13AP60TP766. It will not move, forward or backward. I replaced the lower drive belt last year, it worked for a little bit then quit moving. The lower belt is fine, so I replaced the top drive belt, still nothing. I've gone so far as to replace the transmission and the variable speed pulley. All works great! I drive it around, all good, park it in the shop for the night. The wife takes it out to give it a bath, drives it no problems. I get home, try to take it back in the shop for an oil change, guess what, it will not move! So I push it in the shop, look at it, cuss it and look online what could be the problem. Didn't find anything, so I'm upset. I hop on the silly thing and it moves like it should. What is this things problem?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
https://www.partstree.com/parts/troy-bilt/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/13ap60tp766-troy-bilt-horse-lawn-tractor-2006/drive-controls-and-rear-wheels/
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
With engine running, are the pulleys turning on the transmission, looking up under the fender? Did you have pulley off the transmission? Are the belts tight?The long belt has to be tensioned by spring on th idler pulley bracket. Is belt routed correctly around the two idlers? Flat idler to back side of the belt?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With engine running, pulleys are not turning.Yes, I did have the pulley off the transmission. The shaft and pulley are splined, so it has to be on correctly. Top drive belt is tight, bottom is loose. Spring is on, but it feels like it may not be tight enough. Belt is on correctly.
This thing moves when it wants to, still don't know what's wrong!!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If pulleys are not turning, the problem is up front on the engine pulleys. Pulley may be spinning on the crankshaft.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can push the peddle and it will move, push it to go faster, the peddle goes to the floor and it quits moving.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Problem is with the drive belt from engine to variable pulley. Either the belt is loose, or the drive pulley on the crankshaft is loose on the crank.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulley on crank is keyed and yes the belt is loose, but it is the one it calls for.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I know it is keyed, but it would not be the first one that broke the key. Why is the idler not tightening the belt?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does at first, then when you speed up, the peddle goes to the floor.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Take some Wd40 r penetrating oil and grease the variable pulley center shaft.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No change. I have strong peddle, then it loosens up to nothing. Change gears, it will sometimes tighten up. I pump the peddle and it will engage, sometimes.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If the belt is loose, the routing is wrong! Or tension spring is not holding the pulleys tight against the belt.If belt is tight, I question the drive pulley on the crankshaft.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If drive pulley was loose, the belt wouldn't spin at all, would it? I have one just like it here and I'm comparing it to, and everything is the same. Why do I have strong peddle, then loose? I think variable speed pulley, maybe? Ya know, the pulley is down, belt tight, pulley is up, belt loose. Does that sound right?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Belt should not ever get loose on the variable pulley.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just pulled the deck, again, the top belt is looser than I think it should be and the bottom belt is loose as a goose! With what you just said, #1 why are they loose? #2 should I put on new belts that are smaller? The belts that are on there are the ones it calls for.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the flat idler on the back side of the belt?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Then double backed to the grooved idler on the groove of the belt.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both idlers are flat, but yes the belt is routed right.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
5/8 X 90.5" belt length? (###) ###-####belt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep, that's what is on it.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
?? And when pedal is pushed belt gets tight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Needs to be always! What changes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ha Ha, I don't know, that's why I'm asking you!! LOL This is what I don't understand, belt is tight it moves, peddle goes to the floor and belt is loose. Why? Variable speed pulley?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I don't see it being variable pulley. Has to be somthing with the idlers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just tried to move it again, variable speed pulley, for drive from the engine, is wide open, and belt is loose. The top belt that goes to trans is tight and pulley is closed.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Is the bracket for the variable pulley moving?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just pulled the clutch and the pulley on the engine has not moved, still in the key way.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK> That seems to make it a problem with the short belt and the wy it has to move with the variable pulley.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Short belt stretched?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for delay, rainstorm knocked off internet connection. )(Hughes Net). Is the short belt assembly able to move? It has to move to compensate for the pulley change.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes assembly moves freely. When the bottom belt is tight, the top belt idler almost touches the frame of the tractor.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK>Let me opt out. Maybe someone else can help. Sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks bud