Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a John Deere L110 with a Kohler 17.5 engine....the

Customer Question

Hello...I have a John Deere L110 with a Kohler 17.5 engine....the problem is it is a little hard to start and the idle speed is not steady. When it is idling the rpms are constantly going up and down...you can see the speed governor constantly moving forward and back. .but when the blades are engaged it runs perfectly.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: I do a complete maintenance service twice a year since I've had it. Nothing makes a difference to the idle.. Got it second hand two years ago bought it from and older man's estate he didn't use it much it just sat for years
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. How are you today?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
The symptoms your have could be the carburetors main jet being partially blocked
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Being like you said , it sat for a few years prior to you owning it its very likely the carb is partially blocked
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Have you tubed it up and replaced the air fiter since buying it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done the yeary serviced twice a year with the maintenance kit. It includes all the filters plug and oil. I do it twice a year. I have also run seafoam through the engine constantly with no improvement also had to replace a failed fuel pump this year with no difference
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I can't understand is why the idle is it Reddick until you engage the blades then it's smooth
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
erratic
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
The govenor springs could be weak where they aren't keeping their tension under light load but will because when the blade is engaged the load is at the max
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi just wondering if you got the problem resolved on the mower ?