Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Intermittently my Kohlet Courage 22 won't turn over. Started

Customer Question
Intermittently my Kohlet Courage 22...
Intermittently my Kohlet Courage 22 won't turn over. Started right up today and I ran it for about 20 minutes before turning off. When I try to start it again it won't turn over. Alms it like it is flooded. Last time it happened it started right up after about 3 hrs.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
5/11/2016
Technician: cameronsmallengines, Small Engine Tech replied 1 year ago
cameronsmallengines
cameronsmallengines, Small Engine Tech
Hello, Can you provide the model and spec numbers from the Kohler engine, as well as the model number from the frame? You said it ran for 20 minutes before turning off--did you kill the engine or did it die on you while using it?Thanks,Kyle
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Kohler Courage 22 hp SV715. I turned it off.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Model number of mower itself is RZT S
ok, at this point will the engine turn over, with the starter spinning the engine, and it just won't start? Or does it do nothing when you turn the key?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Starter spins the engine - just won't start
ok, when you turn the key to the "run" position, do you hear any noises associated with the key turn to "run"? A click or just silence?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't hear a click. Just the engine spinning.
No, from key off to key in run position. This is the position right before the engine is turning over
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Silent.
Ok, there is a fuel cut solenoid that is designed to close and stop the flow of all fuel into the engine when the key is moved to the off position. When the key is moved to the Run position before the engine is turning over, you should hear a click which indicates the fuel cut plunger is opening to allow fuel to flow into the fuel mixing components before heading into the engine. Since you don't hear this click, the first thing I would look at is your battery cables where they connect to the battery itself, and then follow them to where they go from there. The positive will run to the start solenoid/relay, and the negative to frame, or engine and be bolted for your ground leg. Check both cables...any signs of loose connections or connectors that are corroded or dirty can EASILY cause this and will also have the potential to work sometimes, and not work sometimes. Check that first, if all that looks good, then we will look into fuses.
Im going to be away from my desk for about half an hour. I'll check back to see if you've had a chance to check those cables while I am away.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Went back to the mower and I can hear a very faint click when turn the key to run. Cables are clean and tight.
Faint click is what you'd hear. Since you're hearing the click, lets make an assumption now that the fuel cut solenoid is working. Next, check for proper choke operation. I didn't get the spec number for the engine from you, so I picked one at random using your model number and the fact that its used on a Cub Cadet. This shows a cable operated choke. Remove the air cleaner cover and air cleaner and peek down the throat of the carburetor. With the choke fully engaged, you should find the choke butterfly completely closed. Take a look at that, and I'll check back in with you when I return to my desk.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Spec on engine is 3027 per the sticker
Perfect. Let me know when you've had a chance to check on proper choke operation.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can see the choke cable and can see that it is moving like it is supposed to. I can't see anything when I remove the air cleaner. Just black plastic. Can see gas down in the exposed holes, but can't see anything else.
The cable can be getting full range of motion, but the cable itself can be out of adjustment such that the butterfly does not close fully like it should when cold starting. Since you aren't able to see down carburetor throat as it is, the blower housing, and air cleaner base will have to come off to put eyeballs on the choke plate for proper operation. Lets back up a step first before you remove those two parts--since your air cleaner is off, pour a tablespoon of fresh gasoline down the intake hole in the air cleaner base. Set parking brake and turn key as if to start engine. If it starts and continues to run at this point then we DO need to tear down to expose choke butterfly as stated above. If it starts and then dies, that points to improper fuel cut solenoid operation(stuck closed) that we talked about originally. If it does nothing but spin as before then we will look in a different direction entirely. Try that and let me know, and don't use more than a tablespoon of fuel as it can be volatile.
*Forgot to add*---when turning engine over to start with gasoline addded to air cleaner base, make sure choke is open, not engaged.
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician