Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Curtis . helped get the PTO off my Cub Cadet 1525. While it

Customer Question
Curtis B. helped get the...
Curtis B. helped get the PTO off my Cub Cadet 1525. While it is off, I need to replace the main drive pulley. I cannot get the pulley off the engine, even with a puller. HELP!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You folks didn't make the 30 minutes!
5/10/2016
Technician: Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician replied 1 year ago
Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. How are you? . The pulley you ate trying to remove is the one that drives the engine belt right ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes. It drives the main drive belt to the transmission.
Ok it should slide down off , do you have a 3 legged puller
Also you can lightly sand the shaft an use wd40
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I used a 3 legged pulley puller, and all it did was bend the puller. I even hit it with a hammer while using a pry bar on it. It's not budging. I can see no set screws or the like. There is no room to sand it.
Is it possible to upload a picture of it. Also is there a bolt in the center of the crankshaft s
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The only bolt in the shaft held the PTO on. It was removed long before I tried changing the belt and pulley. I am a restorer of antique cars, and thus have access to lots of different tools. Also, I am no dummy when it comes to mechanics although my small engine / tractor experience is limited. I will try to upload a picture soon.
It should slide off you can screw the bolt in some and try using a 2 leg puller to free it up , you may need to use heat to but be careful because the crankshaftseal is right near that pulley
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How could it possibly be so tight that a puller bent it, but heat could remove it? Th tractor manual states :slide the pulley dow to work the belt off..." Ain't no way,now how that one can "slide the pulley down"
A 2 leg puller may get it but heat expands and contracts metal so if it's seized it will free it up
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have 5 pictures to send you. Will send in the next few minutes.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here are the pics 1 - 4
Soak it with wd40, and put the bolt back in and try a 2 leg puller. It def slides down but is stuck from use
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please let me know if this is the same tactic after looking at the final pic.
Yes that's a keyed shaft , it slides down , that's what keeps it lined up
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. Will soak it with PB Blaster.
If you can see if you can get some of this http://m.sears.com/search=kano%20aerokroil%20kroil%20penetrating%20oil%2016%205%20oz%20aerosol I've never had luck with pb blaster , but that kroil is gold
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I bought a 5 ton 2 jaw puller for $30. All it did was further bend the pulley. No movement whatever. Used both PB and WD-40. This thing has cost me a small fortune so far.
The only other option it to try to cut it off but you run the risk of damaging the crankshaft. Have you used heat ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
YEP
A air hammer may help otherwise if you have a cutter wheel you can try to cut it along the key way
Check this out http://forums.iboats.com/forum/other/non-boating-technical-topics/512534-help-removing-pulley-from-crankshaft Heat is the source to get these off . Try to get the wd40 above ithe pulley so it can run down inside around the shaft
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I heated it and caught the penetrating oil on fire. Had to run for the extinguisher. What a mess I now have. I did everything mentioned in the forum link you sent mentioned it's NFG! Beating it to death with an air chisel now, and it's still noy moving. Damn MTD and its engineers. Poor design!
I'm sorry the thing is giving you hell. I understand your fustration and anger . If you were local I'd come help you remove it . If you have a cutting wheel you can try cutting it but be careful and I'd cut the length of the keyway
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician