Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

We just changed the motor on our EZ Go golf cart. The batteries

Customer Question

We just changed the motor on our EZ Go golf cart. The batteries are charged up. The cart still won't run. Any suggestions?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: We towed the cart without flipping the switch under the seat and were told the motor was toast. My husband bought and installed a new motor. The cart had been sitting idle for about a month - so the batteries were really dead and the charger wouldn't charge them. He charged the batteries individually - as their charge came up, the charger started to work. Batteries are now fully charged. However, when you push down on the accelerator the motor hums like it wants to run, but it still won't.
JA: Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I think that about covers it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
You say motor hums? Could motor be turning, but coupler from motor to transmission missing or stripped?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can my husband speak with you personally? Or does that cost more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is a spline shaft, no coupler
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://www.amazon.com/COUPLER-SPLINE-MOTOR-EZ-GO-Cart-GO/dp/B006O0CGMK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to help me, or am I only allowed one question?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
should have coupler like this.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Did you see the link? Ask as many questions as you like.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One of these was built into the top of the electric motor. It fit right over the male part on the transmission.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
So it was good spline on transmission?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, it looked good
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Can you raise both rear wheels onthe cart and turn both wheels manually? See if the other wheel turns in opposite direction and there are no noises in either drive wheel? You towed cart, so it may have a bad axle or hub. With motor humming, I'm thiking motor is working, but drive axle has problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can turn wheels manually. When spin one wheel other turns in opposite direction
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If you try to run cart in air, do you get anything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You get a sound like it's trying to run, but no wheel movement
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell if the motor is turning? Slip it back and check.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We can't slip the motor back without disconnecting it? We're thinking maybe we should take the batteries to have them checked and make sure they have enough oomph to support the load and move the cart?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Does the charger come on when attached to cart? If so, batteries should be good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Charger comes on...just gonna check to make sure they put out enough power...(or so I'm told...lol). Will try to get that done tomorrow morning.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK> Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took the batteries in....they are keeping them for a couple days to make sure fully charged and test....so be patient with me. Just for more info...the golf cart and I are in Mexico, my husband is now in the US and has left me with the task of trying to get it to work (yes, I am thanking him every day!). So, bear with me, I will do my best, ***** ***** your suggestions will have to go through me to a quasi-English speaking friend who is trying to help. I will be back in touch when I know more!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK> thanks