Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a Kohler Command EFI 26 engine on my mower that

Customer Question
Hello, I have a Kohler Command...
I have a Kohler Command EFI 26 engine on my mower that is cutting out after it runs for 30-40 minutes with the engine light coming on when it does. The code that pops up on the engine is 2-2-6-1. Can you tell me what this may correspond too?
Thanks,
Doug
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 day by:
5/8/2016
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 1 year ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician
Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.Can you verify for me which EFI system that you have on this machine. Is it the Bosch EFI or the Kohler EFI system. These two systems will throw different codes which are read differently, therefore I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction for repair.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I determine which system I have? The only thing "Bosch" I've found so far is one of the fuel filters-both of which I am in the process of changing out. Also, it is no longer throwing the 0202 code but is now showing an 0231 code which I'm finding codes for 0230 and 0232 both of which refer to fuel pump problems so I'm assuming that the 0231 code may be related??Thanks,
Doug
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If it helps any the model no. is CV26S and the serial no. is(###) ###-####
You would want to look at the ECU, it will have a brand name on it. It sounds like you have the Bosch ECU just based on the additional information that you have provided in your next to last comment. Let me see what I can find for this.
Just to verify your ECU, How many connectors plug into the ECU and what color are they?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry-put in a 14 hour day yesterday and just didn't have time to look at the mower. I'll be changing out plugs and filters this afternoon before I try to mow with it and will see if I can determine the ECU wiring for you then.
That is fine, I will be waiting for your response.Based on the codes that you are getting it sounds like you either have a injector issue or a fuel pump issue. But if we can determine the ECU it will help to narrow down the problem.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Stupid question but where is the ECU? I assumed it was the postage card sized box (about 1 1/4" thick) on the side of the frame next to the left side (looking at from the air cleaner end) that had multiple pin plug in it...however the plug doesn't look like the same as the Kohler engine diagram I have been looking at-this one has a double row of 12 holes ??
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
also has 24 corresponding numbers beside each wire or plugged hole
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician