Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Once the motor warms up the motor dies, it will

Customer Question
for my Scag once the...
for my Scag once the motor warms up the motor dies, it will start again but has to be fully choked in order to run then as soon as you engage the blade it starts to struggle and won't cut or dies
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: not yet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
5/6/2016
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
What engine do you have? Twin engine? Run cylinder test, May have to wait until it is warm. Loosen the spark plug wires, and with engine idling, remove one wire at a time. Engine should continue to run. If it dies when wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. Check it for spark.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its the twin Kohler
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
cranking it now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This did not return any results. I did notice that once the motor was warm the engine would bogg down and then return to normal Idle for a few minutes before it would die. At this time if I was to try and lower the throttle level then the mower would just die
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
any thoughts?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when its starts gets warm and starts to act up I pull the plug on one cylinder the motor will actually start sounding better on one cylinder then it does on the two
But it will run on either cylinder There is a fuel solenoid in the carburetor, is it staying open? It has to have 12 volts, as long as key is on. If it closes, engine starves for fuel. ??
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how can I tell if it is staying open?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
before it dies it will just pulse-sate for about 5 mins, starts to pulse-sate slow slow then it just increases then it sounds like it trys to stay running for a few more mintues at a low low idle before it just gives out
Has to be a lack of fuel. Locate the solenoid, and see if this is the type that the plunger can be removed. Remove the inner tip and run test.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is a wire running into the bottom of the carb bowl, is that the solenoid?
Yes, it would be the only electrical part on the carb.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have it out now, can you tell me how to test it?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
seems to be to parts, I'll try to break the tip loose from the wire end
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, I have it broken down, let me know how to test it
Can the inner tip be removed?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yes
Remove the inner parts, reinstall it as a dummy, and run mower.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, i reinstalled and I plugged the wire back in so everything is there like it was orginally without the inner parts. Mower is running now
OK, let it run and see if problem is gone!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
still doing the same
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i ran it out in the yard for about 10-15 mins once it got how it did the same
So solenoid is not bad. Have you checked the fule supply up to th e fule pump? Fuel tank is vented?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all seems normally but that fuel filter is clogged pretty bad, I took the hose off one side and it barely leaked out. Changing that now
OK>
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i think that may have been it, I let it run for a good time and no problems
OK> Good job! Please rate to close. Thanks.
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician