Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Once the motor warms up the motor dies, it will

Customer Question

for my Scag once the motor warms up the motor dies, it will start again but has to be fully choked in order to run then as soon as you engage the blade it starts to struggle and won't cut or dies
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: not yet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
What engine do you have? Twin engine? Run cylinder test, May have to wait until it is warm. Loosen the spark plug wires, and with engine idling, remove one wire at a time. Engine should continue to run. If it dies when wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. Check it for spark.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its the twin Kohler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cranking it now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This did not return any results. I did notice that once the motor was warm the engine would bogg down and then return to normal Idle for a few minutes before it would die. At this time if I was to try and lower the throttle level then the mower would just die
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any thoughts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when its starts gets warm and starts to act up I pull the plug on one cylinder the motor will actually start sounding better on one cylinder then it does on the two
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
But it will run on either cylinder There is a fuel solenoid in the carburetor, is it staying open? It has to have 12 volts, as long as key is on. If it closes, engine starves for fuel. ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can I tell if it is staying open?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
before it dies it will just pulse-sate for about 5 mins, starts to pulse-sate slow slow then it just increases then it sounds like it trys to stay running for a few more mintues at a low low idle before it just gives out
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Has to be a lack of fuel. Locate the solenoid, and see if this is the type that the plunger can be removed. Remove the inner tip and run test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a wire running into the bottom of the carb bowl, is that the solenoid?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it would be the only electrical part on the carb.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have it out now, can you tell me how to test it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
seems to be to parts, I'll try to break the tip loose from the wire end
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I have it broken down, let me know how to test it
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Can the inner tip be removed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Remove the inner parts, reinstall it as a dummy, and run mower.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, i reinstalled and I plugged the wire back in so everything is there like it was orginally without the inner parts. Mower is running now
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK, let it run and see if problem is gone!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still doing the same
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i ran it out in the yard for about 10-15 mins once it got how it did the same
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
So solenoid is not bad. Have you checked the fule supply up to th e fule pump? Fuel tank is vented?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all seems normally but that fuel filter is clogged pretty bad, I took the hose off one side and it barely leaked out. Changing that now
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK>
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think that may have been it, I let it run for a good time and no problems
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK> Good job! Please rate to close. Thanks.