Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a JD STX38 Black Deck Hydro, but no manual

Customer Question

I have a JD STX38 Black Deck Hydro, but no manual and was wondering after starting it in Neutral, what is the proper process for engaging and moving forward? Thanks
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have an extract/PDF of the owners manual? I have the service manual but no owners manual (bought it 2nd hand)
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Operator-Manual-OMM121093.html
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Manual is not available on line. To put mower in gear , you just move the shifter to the direction you want and go!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does brake have to be completely pressed down, change into gear and then slowly release brake?? Complete stop before changing into N or R?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
No, you can just slap it from forward to reverse and back,you do not have to use the clutch other than initial start. You do want to be close to a stop, not moving at speed when you change direction. You did see the manual link from Deere?